Los Angeles C++ Message Board › Linux Cinder

Linux Cinder

A former member
Post #: 4
Hello All,

I was really excited to hear about the Cinder project. This idea of creative coding is very interesting. Most of my development experience (i'm a newbie) is with linux. Currently, I'm running arch linux.

I went on the forum and saw that there is some interest in developing a linux port to cinder, but it doesn't seem all that active although some work is being done. Do you think this is a worthwhile project? Is there anyone else in the group who has an interest in working on this?

thanks,

alex bantis
Christopher S.
cbsmith
North Hollywood, CA
Post #: 3
Send an Email You are unable to greet this member
I think it'd definitely be worthwhile. There's a huge community there that hasn't been brought in on Cinder. I know most creative types are on Mac or Windows, but on the development side, there are a lot of people on Linux.

I've been kicking around the idea myself, but honestly don't have a lot of free time, so I am very cautious about making commitments. I'd think it would be potentially useful to grab people from the WINE community [looks at Dan] on this too. ;-)

--Chris
Dan K.
daniel.r.kegel
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 1
Yeah, a native port would be nice.

Until then, you can build and run Cinder under Wine, with some caveats:
1) have to use 0.8.3 because wine supports vc2008, not vc2010
2) have to do release builds (there may be a workaround, used to be one with vc2005)
3) quicktime and xaudio don't seem to work (yet; haven't looked into why)
So visual demos seem to work; wisteria, watersim, and VBOSample all look
very nice.

I'll try to write up a little web page about how to do this.
Dan K.
daniel.r.kegel
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 3