In this Data Science Track event, we'll have Josh Hemann and Mae Coughlin talk about Data Science @ Activision.
I'm always looking for speakers for the next Data Science Track events, so talk to your boss if you can present "Data Science @ Your Company" and send me (Szilard) an email/message. If your company is recruiting, giving a talk at this meetup is one of the best ways to attract prime talent.
Data Science @ Activision
Josh Hemann and Mae Coughlin
Activision, publisher of Call of Duty, has multiple analytic teams. This talk will provide an overview of data science at Activision and provide some additional detail on two of their analytic groups: the Game Analytics Team and the Marketing & Advanced Analytics Team.
The Game Analytics Team
· Analyzes the behavior of the game and the players to improve game design, in-game algorithms and the player experience.
· Builds out analytic services to support the game. One example is a cheating detection system which is very similar to fraud detection systems used for credit cards and insurance.
The Marketing & Advanced Analytics Team
· Uses gamers’ play data to optimize marketing communications across channels
· Builds Personalization Engine Rules for 1:1 communications with individual gamers
· Predicts gamers’ likelihood to churn or to respond to upsell offers
Bios: Josh Hemann is a Principal Statistician in Activision's Game Analytics Team, where he builds analytic services that support video game development studios. His industry experience in analytics spans diverse settings such as oil and gas exploration, aerospace, retail loyalty programs, recommendation systems for grocers, and massively multiplayer on-line games. Josh has an MS in Applied Mathematics from the University of Colorado at Boulder where he maintains involvement in air pollution research.
Mae Coughlin: After her PhD in marketing at Stern School of Business, Mae Coughlin has spent over 10 years working in database marketing. Her experience spans across financial services, banking, technology, consumer electronics, software and most recently interactive entertainment. Prior to Activision she built and led analytical teams from both the marketing agency and client side in the US and in China.
- 6:30pm food/drinks and networking
- 7:15pm talks starts promptly
Please arrive by 7:10pm the latest.
Please RSVP as places are limited.
Venue: Cross Campus ( http://www.crosscamp.us/ ) will kindly host this meetup. There is no parking provided. Activision will kindly sponsor/provide the food and drinks.