Los Angeles Area Pagans & Witches Network Message Board › Time to Shut Down the Group?

Time to Shut Down the Group?

A former member
Post #: 165
I'm thinking maybe the "raison d'etre" for this group has run its course, since there doesn't seem to be much of a turnout at our monthly Meetups anymore. With over 500 registered members, we should be having much larger turnouts than we've been getting in the past year. I know the Meetup website keeps dropping the location (argh!) but I don't think that the reason people aren't RSVPing anymore. Is it a bad location? Bad night? Am I just too pompous and boring for words? Talk to me , folks. If July's turnout is low, then maybe it's time to shut down, since keeping the group alive does cost money. When I started the group, I did so on the heels of the previous LA Pagans and Witches Group falling apart and disbanding. Maybe it's a natural progression and local Pagans/Witches simply don't have a need or desire for networking? I'd appreciate your feedback.

Thanks -

Isai A.
user 9684705
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 1
personal, chief, i would love to go to the meet ups my problem is that i simply don't have a way to at the moment, i just got here and i have been wanting to go....but maybe it is my fault for not communicating this problem and maybe there would be a soul out there to help me with it. The matter is that i don't have transportation to, it sucks for me honestly, i would love to see everyone and feel their prescience as a whole. i think it would help me.
user 2369215
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 161
Wednesday nights at the Pig are fun - quiet enough to chat, hilarious decor. I've been working late Wednesdays for a long while though, don't see that changing anytime soon unfortunately. I think a lot of our members are in the greater Los Angeles area so meeting on a week/work night deep in Hollywood (aka far from the freeways) is probably difficult.

Personally, I would prefer a Saturday or Sunday morning meetup. Granted, folks are often busy on weekends too - but it's more of a flexible busy and less... impossible-still-at-work busy. Maybe a location that doesn't require spending money and is near a bus line would coax out the economically downtrodden.

Meetup is such a nice interface, but it's really too bad it costs money. Maybe there's a better, more free website where we could organize casual events for the community?
West Hollywood, CA
Post #: 230
I've just been busy working two jobs and being a member of a coven. The Wicca Study groups always drew a handful of people every month :) But it was never larger than maybe 8 to 10 people. I'd love to keep the meetup open, personally, and if you need help in doing so, just say the word, boss :D
user 3356832
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 36
I would very much like to see the group remain live and kickin. It has been great for me!

A few thoughts/suggestions...

1) The meetup start time is a bit late. By the time I get home from work at about 5:30-6pm, waiting almost two hours to go to the meeting is the pits. I'd recommend a slightly earlier meetup time of 7pm. Those who wish to arrive later always can...we always welcome people whenever they arrive anyway!

2) Speaking of pits...the Pig is a pit. Now, don't get me wrong, when it was set up like a harem den, it was fun and the atmosphere was great. Now that it's the forest primeval, with trees growing in unwanted places, it's a bore.

3) Parking is a NIGHTMARE! Literally. While I'm sure it's a reasonably safe area, that long walk up the hill to find a parking spot has generated not a few unwelcome thoughts. I can't imagine what those who are more concerned about their safety think.

I'd be MORE than happy to help try and find a better location. There's GOT to be something around that would work better. To me, a group like this requires large turnouts, the kind we used to get when the Pig was set up differently. I'm sure I could get us a room at Plummer Park, but it's anticeptic, and there are no refreshments.

Personally, I prefer weeknight meetings. I go to so many freaking meetings during the week that the thought of going to another one on a day off is a bit of a chore.

Tim, Heather, and Seamus have done a GREAT job keeping this group together. Obviously, there's a LOT of interest, or we wouldn't have so many "members"...someting isn't right...let's try and find what'll make it work!
A former member
Post #: 166
These are GREAT suggestions, folks. Anyone else? I realize that we're not going to achieve perfect consensus here, but maybe a little flexibility is called for. I agree that the Pig isn't as comfortable as it used to be before they turned it into the campsite on the river Styx. So I am open to alternate suggestions. The location should be a place that (a) can handle a large group, (b) provides inexpensive food/drinks of some sort, and (c) is centrally located and offers nearby parking. Make some recommendations, please. I don't get out much.

I'm willing to do two (count 'em, TWO) mixers a month, one on a weeknight Monday-Thursday and one on either Friday or Saturday night (different weeks) if doing so brings in more people. Maybe the Friday/Saturday one can be held at a bar or something (hey - Pagan Pub Crawl, what a brilliant idea!) And we can start them earlier on weeknights IF (big IF) I can get volunteers to act as host until I arrive. I work in Culver City until 6pm and it's all I can do to make it by 8pm. We've got two (count 'em, TWO) Asst. Organizers, Heather and Seamus, who do a great job but they get busy at times too (how dare they have real lives!). So if anyone else would like to help shoulder the burden, step right up and volunteer.

Question - is Pagan Bang! dead? Drum Princess, give me a sign!

Finally, there's not much I can do to meet transportation needs. I wish we could afford a shuttle, but it's not in the cards (nor the runes). All I can suggest for those who rely on a bus to get around is find a way to make it to the mixers (you're WITCHES, you can make it happen), get to know people, and hopefully you'll meet others who live near you or wouldn't mind going out of their way to pick you up.

I'm also very, very open to other sorts of activities anyone might have an interest in, so long as people are willing to help make them happen.

A former member
Post #: 167
Oh, forgot to add one thing. Since safety is a concern at night, if you're parked far away and would feel more comfortable having someone go back to your car with you, just ask me. As long as you drop me off out in front, I'm OK with that.

West Hollywood, CA
Post #: 231
I'll be hosting events at my new apartment soon. I'm not posting them here cause i don't need 400 people i don't know showing up, but invitations will make the rounds :D It'd be good to have a WeHo coven by the end of the year.
San Diego, CA
Post #: 66
Hi Everyone,
Super sorry I have been MIA...but with my relatively new job, and this silly walking cast (long story) the weekdays are rather dull of drone.

I really hope that the Meetup can transform and find a new and exciting way to keep on trucking.

I have been racking my brain trying to come up with new ideas....how do people feel about the Farmer's Market? For those that drive, you can get validated parking. It is also on multiple bus lines...Also, there are many types of foods, and beer and wine. It would just take picking an area and taking over some tables.
It might be hectic, but I thought why not ask what peeps thought.

Hoping my foot gets better fast and things calm down...

Bright Blessings Everyone!

A former member
Post #: 1
Oh noooo I just joined yesterday and already talks of shutting down? Please don't! :) I would love to come to meetings and plan to in the future, however I unfortunately can't make the one tomorrow, boo. :( I hope things get worked out because I just moved to NoHo and want to meet people so badly! :)