Los Angeles Area Pagans & Witches Network Message Board › Winter witches ball

Winter witches ball

Joy
user 2650968
Van Nuys, CA
Post #: 10
Is anyone planning on going? It sounds like it could be fun!

The Winter Witches Ball is back for the fifth consecutive year!
Saturday, March 3rd, 2007
7:00 P.M. till Midnight

At the Culver City Elk's Lodge
11160 Washington Place, Culver City, CA 90232

The Fancy Dress Event of the New Year!
Dinner and Dancing Included!

Credit cards accepted for advance registration!
Free Parking!
Full Cash Bar Available
Elegant costumes or party attire suggested

Tickets are $30.00 if purchased before January 31st. Make checks payable to COG and send, together with this form, to COG, 4937 N. Jenifer Avenue, Covina, CA 91724.

Pay by credit or debit card via PayPal! Please send payment to WinterWitchesBal@aol.com , or send us an email or check our website for detailed instructions.

Reserved seating for groups of 4 or more with advance registration. Seating is limited, so order early to avoid disappointment. Ticket price after January 31st will be $35.00
A former member
Post #: 33
I was thinking about it, but then serveral people told me it wasn't so great... Still, if I should is going I might go. I could break out some costume stuff... yay :D

Is COG running it? I've had mixed impressions of them. Nothing really bad, just... the circle I went to kinda lacked any spiritual feeling :(
Joy
user 2650968
Van Nuys, CA
Post #: 11
Hm...I'm not sure. Maybe someone else knows more about it. Oh, yeah, looks like COG is sponsering it...

I'm kind ainterested in going to it just because I've never been to anything like that before and it sounds like it could be fun but its kinda pricey "
RavenC
RC13
Sherman Oaks, CA
Post #: 31
Just curious, is COG Covenant of the Goddess? I haven't attended anything with them before.. So the $30 covers essentially admission and parking? Whew that is just a tad pricey..I wonder if this Witches Ball is pretty genuine, or just kind of a Goth party? I've never been to a Witches' Ball, but would love to. (It DOES sound like fun). I think I will check out if there are any other Witches' Balls (huh huh-sorry, but that sounds funny) in addition to that. But, thanks for posting the info, Joy--where does one find out about events like that, by the way?
AprilRocks
DreamSprng
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 31
I went to the Winter Witches Ball last year (my pic is on the website) and while it was nice to see some friends we hadn't seen in a while and the food was passable but we didn't quite find it worth the 30 dollars to go. Maybe if someone goes this year andsays that it improved, I might consider going next year. We're thinking about going to the Labyrinth of Jareth Ball this year though. Has anyone been there?
A former member
Post #: 13
If you need any help checking out the...(he he) Witches Balls....let me know :) I wanna help!
Bacon
mcsloshed
West Hollywood, CA
Post #: 49
COG is a wonderful entity that has done more for us and for our rights than any other pagan group out there. They've worked hang in hand with the ACLU for a long time and they've also granted religious standing to covens, churches, and other pagan etc...'s for decades, so as far as supporting them by participating in their events, that's a good thing.

Witches Ball's are all about who's running them, and the type of crowd they draw in. I went to one in NYC a few years ago and it was effin awesome (and cost about the same as this one.) It wasn't goth, it wasn't anything in particular. Normal people, people in costume, some goth people, whatever. the ritual was amazing, as was the food and dancing. It was a great time. I say someone should explore it.

However, it's at an Elk's Lodge... Bleh. The one i went to in Manhattan was at a night club. See the difference?
AprilRocks
DreamSprng
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 34
good point. When I went, it wasn't goth at all, but as you would expect, there were a few gothish people there. actually, there was a good mix of people. The people were cool, it was mainly the venue that was just so so.
A former member
Post #: 3
I've been to the Winter Witches' Ball before and found it both fun and boring. I didn't think the price was a problem, considering there were very nice decorations, hall costs and a full dinner included. They had some fun door prizes and a dj (who couldn't mix at all...). I was lucky to have quite a few witchy friends there and had a good time. I do have to echo the sentiment that the location is lacking. However, i think if a bunch of folks from this group went, it would be a HUGE influx of fun to the event. Seamus is right, CoG has done wonders for all of us, whether we realize it or not--and that is reason enough to support their event.
A former member
Post #: 24
It is indeed the Covenant of the Goddess (CoG) Ball and I've been before. The admission price goes to a good cause and while the food isn't gourmet, it's decent and there's plenty of it (and cake too!). The octogenarian bartender doesn't scrimp on the liquid lightnin' either. To me it's not about the production values, it's really more about being visible, being supportive of the organization (which supports US), and having fun. In the past I've gone with a couple of friends and didn't know too many other people, but if we can get a sizeable group to go then I think we'd have a blast. Plus it's a costume ball - we can get a jump on the Ren Faire season and sport our feathers and velveteens. I danced my little fanny off last year as the DJ played a lot of retro '80s stuff (I felt like a Klub Kid again!), and lemme tell ya, you ain't seen NUTHIN 'til you've seen me stomp to old rockabilly...

M.