addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Los Angeles Area Pagans & Witches Network Message Board › Pagan's Night Out

Pagan's Night Out

A former member
Post #: 26
February is nearly upon us, so let's schedule our next bar crawl! Since the Witches WeHo Study Group is going to be on the 11th rather than the 4th (am I correct Heather?) and our regular coffee klatsch meeting is the 21st, maybe we should plan it right in the middle, say Saturday the 17th?

And where shall we have this thing? Bear in mind that not everyone lives in WeHo, though it is an attractive location as it offers the most potential for alcohol consumption per acre than anywhere else in the Greater LA Basin. Though some of our straight members might appreciate an opportunity to go someplace where they stand a chance of getting hit on by members of the opposite sex (for a change). I'm open to suggestions. I can be ignored and libidinally frustrated in either venue, so I don't particularly care.

As for the pub versus bar issue, the only pub I know of is Molly Malone's Irish Pub on Fairfax (near 6th), but they have live Irish performers (as oppose to dead ones who just wind up pissing me off) so it's not exactly quiet. There's a bodega just up Fairfax but I think all they serve is Spanish wine and port. I wish there was a good Flamenco bar here...

So - where's it gonna be, folks?

Mariner
Joy
user 2650968
Van Nuys, CA
Post #: 13
Hm...that Irish pub sounds fun! I think at some point whether next month or some other time we should check it out! But other bars would be fun too
AprilRocks
DreamSprng
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 37
I got the following in email once from daily candy. it's a british pub, maybe someone can check it out and see if it's group-worthy. Heck, everyone should just pick a bar and go to it and report back, sort of a reconnaissance mission of sorts... just a thought...

Anyway, here's the info:

Simple Minds

Every village has its idiot. And though you think that the title has surely gone to your ex (doesn?t everyone?), think again.

Staking claim to the name from here on out is The Village Idiot, a new restaurant that combines modern British pub with neighborhood charm.

Located on prime Melrose District real estate, the big, light-filled space looks surprisingly smart ? with dark hardwood floors, lots of windows, an open kitchen (see the wood fire grill?), exposed brick walls, and wood ceiling beams.

The owners are making sure that everyone feels right at home there, so say hello and saddle up to the bar for a pint or snag a table and try the signature savory pies (steak and potato with pearl onion; sunchoke and mushroom) or fish and chips. Top it off with a fresh ginger-spiced cake with pear compote and creme fraiche.

Their mantra: no attitude, no pretenses, no reservations. Now act accordingly.

Like, duh.

The Village Idiot, 7383 Melrose Avenue, at Martel Avenue, Melrose District (323-655-3331).
A former member
Post #: 21
The 17th works great for me, plus I have a friend visiting at that time from Ohio, and I'm sure she'd love to go out.

I'm a fan of the more relaxed, chill, live music sort of atmosphere versus a club, but really it's whatever everyone else wants to do. I'm pretty flexible.
A former member
Post #: 42
I looked up the Village Idiot online and it has a LOT of good reviews... and it's in WeHo, but closer to where the Pig is... it seems like a good central location.

My boyfriend and I are thinking about checking it out tonight... we're big fans of pubs. We'll let you know how it is.
A former member
Post #: 35
Mariner, Saturday the 17th for a Pagan Bar Crawl DOES sound like a rather perfect time for February! (Yes the Witches' WeHo Study Group is a week later in February due to it conflicting w/ the Pagan Conference). I would like to check out ol' Molly Malone's sometime, but I must admit The Village Idiot sounds like an EXCELLENT place..central location (meaning, if I get trashed I can stagger home if necessary), FANTASTIC IRISH FOOD (OMG, fresh ginger-spiced cake..I'm salivating..well, maybe some of the food's not exactly Irish..), and the place looks really homey (AND beautiful) for what a lot of us are looking for (not totally crazy-wild/super-noisy, etc.). Thanks for posting that, April.

I'm for the Idiot on the 17th!

And I'm also all for reconnoissance missions, so let us know how it is, Jessica! Maybe we could keep reconning different places until we find The Perfect Pub, if that's possible. Or who knows, we may end up loving The Village Idiot.
A former member
Post #: 18
Mariner, Saturday the 17th for a Pagan Bar Crawl DOES sound like a rather perfect time for February! (Yes the Witches' WeHo Study Group is a week later in February due to it conflicting w/ the Pagan Conference). I would like to check out ol' Molly Malone's sometime, but I must admit The Village Idiot sounds like an EXCELLENT place..central location (meaning, if I get trashed I can stagger home if necessary), FANTASTIC IRISH FOOD (OMG, fresh ginger-spiced cake..I'm salivating..well, maybe some of the food's not exactly Irish..), and the place looks really homey (AND beautiful) for what a lot of us are looking for (not totally crazy-wild/super-noisy, etc.). Thanks for posting that, April.

I'm for the Idiot on the 17th!

And I'm also all for reconnoissance missions, so let us know how it is, Jessica! Maybe we could keep reconning different places until we find The Perfect Pub, if that's possible. Or who knows, we may end up loving The Village Idiot.

Love the Village idiot! it's right by one of my job and my apt!
A former member
Post #: 32
OK, based on a favorable reconaissance report, I'm game for relaxed and haimish (who knew I spoke Yiddish?) at the Village Idiot on the 17th.
A former member
Post #: 3
All for the idiot.. but I prefer to make it just a bar this time :)

Z
A former member
Post #: 21
Oh man, turns out I have a wedding reception to go to that day for friends, so no Pagan's Night Out for me in Feb. I'll try to make the March one though!