Los Angeles Area Pagans & Witches Network Message Board › Our Monthly Study Group

Our Monthly Study Group

A former member
Post #: 60
Hi!

Sunday nights would be out for me too, actually. Sunday mornings would be cool, though.

As for location - is WeHo park an option? I know exactly where that is. :) Where are some other public parks we could hang out at? Does anyone know? Or, is there some way to make the La Brea Tar Pits location more visible (like putting out balloons or something)?

What I would like to get out of a study group is to learn stuff while still socializing and doing something hands on, as well. I love Mariner's idea of different things going on all at once. Maybe someone can put together a 15 min presentation on something and then just have question/answer/discussion time afterwards, as well as tarot/billet readings, as well as a book group, craft group, etc. And when people come to the meetup, they could pick one or all things to participate in. Mostly I think it should just be casual, and people can find out what similar interests they have and learn about them together.

~Meg
darin
TriangleWitch.
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 254
You know I forgot, though I RSVP'd mayby I forgot to update my RSVP. I was in an art festival this weekend, The Pasadena Chalk Festival, I ment post it here, but I was too busy preparing for it. That's why I couldn't make it.
AprilRocks
DreamSprng
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 77
I was going to suggest WeHo park myself, it's not so big as it would be hard to find everyone before giving up. and besides, it's close to the bodhi tree laughing
A former member
Post #: 68
We did try WeHo Park once, the day we got the boot from Elixir (cough, spit, lay the curse) and we had nowhere else to go, remember? The main problems are that it is small (and will get smaller now that summer's here) and it's in a very parking un-friendly section of WeHo (as if there is actually a parking friendly section of WeHo). What about Poinsettia Park or Plummer Park? Those are tricky to find as well, but not as big as the Tar Pits and thus we'd be hard to miss. That's the one good thing about the Tar Pits - plenty of room.

Sunday mornings would definitely be out for me.
A former member
Post #: 1
The La Brea tar pits is one of the nicest and most secluded parks I have been to in the central L.A. area. I had never been there, but it wasn't really very hard to find at all and there was plenty of street parking. The park is on Wilshire east of fairfax. You will see a big pit with elephants on the north side of the street next to the page museum. Maybe it would be easier to meet at the exact corner of Wilshire and Fairfax in front of the Lacma front entrance and walk the half block to the park smile

I don't usually go out Sunday nights because I work early monday mornings, but I would be cool with morning or evening.

I really love the idea of a more participatory group meeting. Maybe we could structure classes by reserving the 1 hour for a lecture and the second for practice and/or discussion. There does need to be some sort of structure though, otherwise chaos could ensue.

ok, those are my two cents, thanx.

-Laura
A former member
Post #: 62
That's cool. Maybe we should just change one thing at a time, then! I vote for keeping the same 2pm time and location, and just changing the format first and seeing how that affects interest/participation.
A former member
Post #: 139
The Tar Pits park isn't that big... which may be a good thing (making people easier to find). Some of the other parks are bigger and nicer. I've been to the other west hollywood/hollywood park (not Plumber, not the one near me, but the one that's closer to the Tar pits and the Grove) and it's really nice and big with lots of places to sit and meet.
Shelby
Hellbalicious
San Diego, CA
Post #: 34
Clearly the La Brea Tar Pits is big and the actual space of the Tar Pits is easy to find. Yeah it is right there off Wilshire.
However, wherever the study group actually takes place must be hard to find.
I have had people call me looking for where the group is on at least 3 occasions. Also, people have posted online that they could not find the group and gone home.
It sounds like the Pits are in a spacious setting and easy to park, but wherever the actual study group is needs to be more visible for new people.
A former member
Post #: 2
I will make up a map with directions to the pretty little spot under the tree for our next meet-up. I've only been once so I'll probably end-up going back to map out the exact location.
I will post it before our next meet-up so that everyone has an easier time joining us smile
-Laura
A former member
Post #: 141
Okay, I'm sorry... but... The La Brea Tar Pits Park is NOT big. When I was looking for an apartment in LA I used to go to the park everyday while Tim was at work (cuz I didn't have a car so I'd just ride with him) and then after work we'd look at apartments.

I've walked through that entire park... it only takes about 15 minutes to walk through the entire thing. I was just there a week and a half ago and walked around to make sure I wasn't remembering it wrong. Maybe people are only looking around for five minutes and just assuming the park is bigger?

Yes it's bigger than the WeHo park near me, but it's smaller than all the other parks. It can't be that hard to find a group in it. I'll try and make the next study group if it's there and see how hard it is to find people.

Or maybe none of you are from the country and think ANY park is big. *LOL*