Los Angeles Area Pagans & Witches Network Message Board › Our Monthly Study Group

Our Monthly Study Group

RavenC
RC13
Sherman Oaks, CA
Post #: 81
What do you guys think of, instead of deciding on which park to use for our study group (people like the tar pits, they don't, they can't find it, other parks are better, others are worse, etc.), why don't we head back to the place where Elixir used to be? It's now called the Tea Garden & Herbal Emporium and is under entirely new management/ownership (it's a new business. Elixir's gone--how's that for karma?) and they have the largest and best tea/tonics/etc. menu I've ever seen (voted best in the country). I personally "reconned" it and the people who work there are friendly and advised me that it shouldn't be a problem if we held our study group there once a month. (Plus we're not really having the format of a class anymore, anyway--it will be a more open forum format). So I would really like to change our location for there--it's SUCH a nice atmosphere, and SO gorgeous in the back. (And the tea quality is incredible). I haven't posted the study group meeting yet because I wanted to find time to check this new place out as soon as I discovered it(school schedule's a bitch), and then to gauge any responses from you guys. Any comments?
Shelby
Hellbalicious
San Diego, CA
Post #: 35
HAHHAHHAHAAAA that is the funniest thing I have read in days.

I say hellz yeah we try the new tea emporium! It is a nice area and right by Boddhi Tree.
It is easier to park in that neighborhood on a Sunday, also.

Let's go for it!
A former member
Post #: 63
I'm down for that. Easy for me to get to. :)
A former member
Post #: 147
Is it not more expensive? I haven't been yet cuz I've been away... but Elixer moved because the rent for the building was doubled. So I'd expect the new place to cost more. If not, I'm down for having the meetup there, it's certainly easy for me to get to.

And please, don't bash Elixer. I loved them. The people who worked there were always really nice and I'm now going to have to mail order stuff from them or go out of my way to get to their new store. We were asked not to have classes there beause part of how they made ends meet was through the class fees - rent there is very high, they've been raising it all over the area (heck, my rent just went up too). We were costing them money by sitting there four four hours and only getting one or two drinks each on a busy day (Urth Cafe has a similar policy about not even sitting for over an hour if they are busy, and I still love going there). The Bodhi Tree changes for class spaces too, and I certainly hope they are never forced out by higher rent.

I don't think it's very nice to say that they deserved their rent doubled, or to have to move locations (and they had a really cool sale when they moved too). It's not our place to decide what other people deserve - we don't know the whole story.
A former member
Post #: 64
Well said, Jessica. I was trying to think of a way to say the same thing, but that was great and I don't have anything to add, so I'll just say, ditto!
darin
TriangleWitch.
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 241
Well that all depends, when I got there everyone was leaving and we went to the park. were all of you thrown out ( asked to leave ) or was that decided by the group. I don't remember the reason why we had to leave. If so I could care less about them.
A former member
Post #: 148
We were asked to leave or stop teaching a class there or pay the class fee... because Elixer, and the new Tea House, and Bodhi Tree and everything else in the area (except for the public parks) usually changes for class space - they themselves have classes they are arranged and hosted there etc. (I.E. we were breaking their rules). I had talked to them before, and they were fine with study groups at Elixer with no charge, just not classes.

Orginally we were having a study group, but we changed to a class format with handouts etc. and this is what caused the issue there.

It wasn't that big a deal, I'm just saying I don't think they deserved to have to move... or that it was our place to decide that they did. Or to even really be mad at them... If you look at it from both points of view... they had to try and make ends meet. Rent on Melrose in WeHo is damn high, so businesses have to do what they can to stay in businssess here. Urth and the Bodhi tree also have issues with long classes etc. without having the space rented.
RavenC
RC13
Sherman Oaks, CA
Post #: 82
Okay, that's fine to feel that they didn't deserve to move..I wasn't thinking that they "deserved" anything. All I said was, how's that for karma? I thought it was interesting because, first of all, I just didn't like the way they rudely interrupted the class after approximately four (? or five?) months after we started meeting there, saying that we had to pay $100 per hour (which was steep a charge, in my opinion, especially considering we were a small, informal little group). And granted, maybe if each person only got two drinks, that is still good money considering Elixir's costs--and I know most people usually got something to eat also, so it's not like Elixir was really losing money. Look at a lot of other people who went there--they would typically leisurely linger for hours, and they weren't meeting as a group. And when we met, I'm surprised we would stay four entire hours--that's a long time, isn't it? I don't remember meeting for that length of time, although I could be wrong. There's no need for our group to take that long, 2 hours is more ideal. However, all of this is moot--we're not having a class format anymore, anyway.

Also, I saw the Tea Emporium's menu (and ordered tea, which was fantastic), and it's essentially about as pricey as Elixir was, maybe slightly more for some items, like the tonics. But the quality is extremely high, probably more so than Elixir's. Anyway, what I was talking about was not intended to knock Elixir, it was to say how good I thought the Tea Emporium was, and that we could start afresh by meeting there for the study group--that's all.
A former member
Post #: 149
Clearly we just have very different views on this. Since I went there more often and knew the people better, I tend to understand their side of it better.

I didn't think they were rude at all, and reguardless of if their class prices were too costly for us... we were breaking their rules.
darin
TriangleWitch.
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 242
Did they even tell us the rules, we were doing this for a wile