addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Los Angeles Area Pagans & Witches Network Message Board › book recommendations

book recommendations

A former member
Post #: 1
Hi,
Sorry for bugging you....
I came to my first meetup last month and some people were kind enought to give me some recommendations for books to read on witchcraft etc., because I'm new to all this and don't really know too much yet. Problem is, my memory decided not to remember the authors and titles. confused If you wouldn't mind repeating them again, or if anyone has any more suggestions, please tell me.
Hope you all had a good 4th
Thank you
Jennie
A former member
Post #: 151
For Solitary Wicca info, and info on herbs and tons of other stuff look at Scott Cunningham's Books.

For Wild/Green Witchcraft (which is mostly what I am) check out The Craft of the Wild Witch by Poppy Palin. She also has a new book out on working with unseen stuff (spirits etc), but it's harder to get - amazon took a month to get me my copy.

As odd as it sounds I'd also suggest the Urban Fantasy of Charles de Lint. He understands a lot of stuff about spirtuality and magic better than many "non-fiction" writers.

I could go on, but I don't want to overwhelm you. Sorry I missed meeting you at meetup, but I'll probably be at our next wednesday meetup. I'm always willing to suggest books, music and DVDs on magic, witchcraft, drawing, and writing... so feel free to ask. :)
Zoysia M.
user 4299925
London, GB
Post #: 4
Hello Jennie,

I know it?s hard to find a book to help you on your path to education. I was a lost on which to choose but here are two books that I truly enjoyed in my first year and taught me a lot.

True Magick A beginner?s guide by Amber K
It gives a good over view of what Wicca is how it started and ways to practice.

Witch: a magical journey By Fiona Horne.
This puts a good modern twist on Wicca and is also well laid out to help you reference.

The more you read the more you find what direction your interested in. Weather you enjoy herbal healing, tarot, spell crafting and many others each becomes a talent for your practice in time. Go in the direction that calls you first and you will find your way. Just stay true to the Wicca code.
Let me know when you?re ready for more I have tons!
Jasmine
Bacon
mcsloshed
West Hollywood, CA
Post #: 106
Must reads for anyone interested in Wicca:

Witchcraft Today - Gerald Gardner
The Truth About Witchcraft - Gerald Gardner

Anything by Doreen Valiente. She's the mother of modern witchcraft

Eight Sabbats for Witches and What Witches Do (also available as one book called A Witches Bible) by Janet and Stewart Farrar.

Wicca: The Old religion in the New Millenium (i think the title may have been shortened) by Viviane Crowley. She's a psychologist and makes some wonderful insights.

Witchcraft from the Inside, and a number of other titles by Raymond Buckland (He brought wicca to the US).

There are more, but if you read the ones above, you'll know more about Wicca than 75% of the people who claim to practice it. :)
A former member
Post #: 64
I can you what to look for when picking books to read. I don?t have a list to tell you because I have stopped reading them as I find most of them to be full of shit.

Basically start with studying different types of witchcraft/Wicca or what ever. What best fits with what you believe to be real. Beliefs come from with in not a book.

When looking at books make sure they are written by people of that religion. Not just someone trying to make a fast buck. Also look to see if they keep changing their minds from page to page or book to book. Also start with renting them from the library, that way you?re not out money if it?s not what you?re looking for.

I tell people one of the good things about this believe system is that no one is wrong (unless you hurt children or others). What you believe no one else may believe but that?s okay.

I have also found that it is best to ask people what their believe path is and what makes them believe it. And what it is they actually believe, instead of a book telling me.

I hope some of my ramblings have helped. lol
A former member
Post #: 65
Hi,
Sorry for bugging you....

Your not thats what friends are for, to help each other.
A former member
Post #: 3
I have gone through sooooo many books, I even read Wicca for dummies (which was actually pretty helpfull in explaining generalities)

When I found Evolutionary Witchcraft by T. Thorn Coyle I felt like I finally found something with real heart and spirituality. It was a very personal explanation of her practice of feri tradition.
I was really getting tired of all the fluff I was finding. I would also recomend Christopher Penzack, he is an excellent teacher. He knows just what questions a student will ask and answers them before you even have a chance to ask and he lays everything out in a manner very easy to understand.

I hope this help :-)
darin
TriangleWitch.
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 247
The first book I red was Witchcraft the sixth sense, by Justine Glass. Wilshire Book Co.
It's a good introduction, if you can find it. It might have to be orderd.
an other good one is, Witchcraft Today The Modern Craft Movement, By Chas S. Clifton. Llewellyn Publication. Thees were my first books on Witchcraft
A former member
Post #: 75
I was going to suggest "Witchcraft: The Sixth Sense" as well, it was one of the texts we used back when I used to teach.

Another book I saw over the weekend, which at first glance seemed a little kitschy but actually impressed me once I looked it over, is Oberon Zell-Ravenheart's "Grimoire for the Apprentice Wizard". It has a bit of a Harry Potterish look to it, definitely targeted towards teens. But - it's a very comprehensive and thorough kind of encyclopedia of all things witchy (minus the religious stuff). I'd recommend it as a good resource or reference book as it's easy to use, though not so much for theory.
AprilRocks
DreamSprng
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 79
I can't find it right now but I'm almost sure that that's the book that Rob is published in.