addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
darin
TriangleWitch.
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 333
I know there are members here who are Voodoo and Santeria,
I want to know are zombies part of the lore of Voodoo and Santeria?
or is it something that the Spanish and movie makers made up?
I have heard that it's made up or the lore says that zombies are not dead but are people that were once dead but were brought back to life and are alive but lack free will.

By the way I hate zombie movies.angry
Bacon
mcsloshed
West Hollywood, CA
Post #: 182
Zombies are very much a part of Voodoo lore. They're quite the well known concept in Haiti. If you ever have a chance to watch The Serpent and the Rainbow, you should. Here's the lowdown:

In Haiti, some houngans (voodoo priests) or mambos (priestesses) can use a very specific type of poison to paralyze a victim and slow down their entire body to the point where they appear dead. Breathing pretty much stops, the organs shut down, and they're DOA for all intents and purposes. However, the effect lasts a very specific time, so the evil houngan will know when it'll wear off and the body will restart itself. In that amount of time, the person has usually been funeraled and buried. Sadly, they'll remember the experience. It's very traumatizing. When they come back, they're dug up and the houngan informs them that they've died, but he brought them back, and now they belong to him. Then the 'zombie' is usually put to work in a remote location with other 'zombies.' On rare occassions, a 'zombie' has broken the spell put on them by the houngan, the experience, and the trauma, and returned to their homes, terrifying the residents and villagers, who scream "zombie!" and run for it.

There are more than one documented case of this.
darin
TriangleWitch.
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 362
I know there are members here who are Voodoo and Santeria,
I want to know are zombies part of the lore of Voodoo and Santeria?
or is it something that the Spanish and movie makers made up?
I have heard that it's made up or the lore says that zombies are not dead but are people that were once dead but were brought back to life and are alive but lack free will.

By the way I hate zombie movies.angry

One of my co workers is from Haiti. He told me today that zombies are the spirits of someone who died and not their body. The spirit or ghost is used to do the deeds of the priest/priestess.

See! I knew all the time thees damn filmmakers and church people are stupid.

A dead body being eaten by maggots and micro organisms is going to get up and come after you.
STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!