Los Angeles Area Pagans & Witches Network Message Board › Ord Brighideach

Ord Brighideach

A former member
Greetings, and Happy Imbolc!

In honor of our sabbat celebrating the return of the light and the coming of spring, I'd like to acquaint everyone with Ord Brighideach International, an online community dedicated to honoring the Goddess Brighid:

http://www.ordbrighid...­

Ord Brighideach is an international order of flamekeepers who tend Brighid's flame in the same manner of the ancient priestesses at Kildare, in rotations of 19 days with Brighid herself tending the fire on the 20th day. They have a number of "cills" or cells where people sign up and commit themselves to one day or as many day in the rotation as they care to. The requirement is only that you tend the flame for some period during your shift, either from sundown to sundown or just for a few minutes it that's all you can handle. They stress that it should only be for as long as it is safe.

I joined the all-male Cill Drualus (Mistletoe), while our co-organizer Seamus heads up the co-ed Cill Beith (Birch) and has done so for several years. There are also all-female cills, as well as a number of individual flamekeepers.

In honor of Brighid, I'd encourage anyone who feels a special devotion to Her to consider claiming one of those shifts and making a commitment to flametending. You can join the order for as little as $3 annually (or nothing if you're strapped) and for $3 more they'll send you a candle lit from the permanent shrine at Solas Bhríde in Kildare, Ireland which you can us to consecrate your own mother candle (I use Brighid's fire for all my rituals and spells). Or, both Seamus and I have mother candles and can pass on the sacred flame to you. They also have very cool three-armed Brighid's "crosses" that are actually triskelions. Check it out and I hope you'll join us in making a commitment to tend Brighid's sacred flame.

Happy Imbolc, and Welcome Spring!

Mariner
Bacon
mcsloshed
West Hollywood, CA
Post #: 232
Mariner, the sterling example of your paganism puts me to shame :D We'll totally hook you up with a free flame, whether you join Ord Brighideach or not, though I highly suggest you do, since it has the best repository of information on the Goddess Brighid I've ever seen.

Slainte,
Seamus