Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Who wants to work on chicken legalization efforts?

Who wants to work on chicken legalization efforts?

Cynthia
bringer_o_treats
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 244
I've been doing a lot of research on this - I was going to pursue it this year but something else took over my life.

But I will have the energy and time for it after the new year - I'd love to get together somehow and brainstorm. I do have some ideas . . . .

Hate to have everyone put it off, but on the other hand the holidays are fast approaching so maybe I'm not the only one who would put more effort into it once January rolls around?

Either way - I'm interested in hearing what everyone else has to contribute. Here in Pasadena we have a very limited and frankly discriminatory chicken regulation. It says it's legal to have hens, but effectively only on huge lots, which eliminates a majority of properties from eligibility. I will be pursuing the change on this basis. My fear is that it will backfire and they'll just say, "well then, we just won't allow them at all". So I want to make sure I'm really ready before I take it to the council, with lots of supporters who will attend city council meetings with me. Especially chicken keepers who are already doing it in Pasadena. Problem is that most of us are under the radar, so I don't actually know many. Well, there's Anne, and Brandi, and Sam . . . who else is currently thumbing their nose at the Pasadena city code?
Brandi G
user 48566262
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 30
Cynthia

I'm legal, believe it or not. We live in the small swath of unincorporated LA county here in Pasadena. It's Pasadena zip code but governed by LA County. We pay different taxes,use the sheriff and even have different trash service. I also had my husband check out the codes before we got the chickens to make sure they are legal. I didn't want to do illegal chickens because he wasn't comfortable with it and I have one weird neighbor who would care, the rest don't. My husband is cautious (attorney) and we didn't want to create a situation with the neighbors, which is why I got rid of the rooster, even though we can have one, technically. I just didn't think it was right being so close to a couple neighbors and being closest to the one odd one who would not like the noise.

About the legality issue, I would be willing, after the holidays especially, to go to Pasadena stuff and/or help how I can with local things. I agree with Cynthia, the holidays are a busy time. I think it's fairly arbitrary here and do understand why roosters may not be allowed, however, no hens is just stupid. People have super loud dogs, parrots, etc and hens are much quieter. With the wild parrots in the area, it's just insane that they restrict hens, I think.
Davey
user 11420206
Azusa, CA
Post #: 27
there's a group in Whittier trying to legalize. they're on facebook: www.facebook.com/LegalizeChickensInWhitt­ier
Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 249
Thanks Davey for the Whittier link. I'll try to find them. They have some stories and i think that's what we need to do right now, organize online links for stories about legalization. Link to current codes. I tried links at one site and several were broken. I'm going to use the blog to organize though maybe Facebook might be another way.

Anyone know the person in Newport Beach who was fighting for his chickens. I can't remember the facebook link to see how things were going. The last I read he thought someone was trying to kill his chickens by salting his yard!
Karen
user 11697422
Glendale, CA
Post #: 47
Saw this link on www.backyardchickens.com It's for Oregon, but under Legal Stuff, there's a research packet that might be helpful in addressing the concerns of those in city government who are opposed. The link is www.salemchickens.com
Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 251
Thank you so much for pointing out this section. There is a lot of activity on the legalization threads. :)
A former member
Post #: 378
It would be great to have an online meetupmeetup. Sun early or evening work well for me or weekday evenings. Can you see the desktops with your teleconference. I have access to another type of online conferencing but i would love to see a free system.

Spreecast is free and you can record.

'http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spreecast­
'http://about.spreecast.com/­
Laura B.
LauraBonilla
Group Organizer
Norco, CA
Post #: 433
It would be great to have an online meetupmeetup. Sun early or evening work well for me or weekday evenings. Can you see the desktops with your teleconference. I have access to another type of online conferencing but i would love to see a free system.

Spreecast is free and you can record.

'http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spreecast­
'http://about.spreecast.com/­

I use freeteleconference for my business so it's all setup - I offered it to this group - all I need to know is the day and time of the conference you want to have and I'll post the phone number and code to dial in -