Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Racoon broke the neck of two of my chickens in early morning

Racoon broke the neck of two of my chickens in early morning

Matthew D.
user 11929242
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 9
Saturday around 8am, my husband and I heard a strange noise coming from Chickenland behind our house in Echo Park. He said it sounded like fighting. We ran outside and saw a racoon had broken the neck on one chicken and was doing it to another. We chased the racoon away but one girl was dead and the other dying. We talked about what to do and the other died.

I have never seen a racoon in the day. So now we don't let the chickens out until 9am, they don't like it, they want to be out at daybreak, but it's either 9am or possibly death.

We have had chickens for 3 years now and no problems.

Very sad to lose our girls, we have 4 left to console us.

Matthew
Laura B.
LauraBonilla
Group Organizer
Norco, CA
Post #: 349
oh no... I'm so sorry, this is awful news! - sorry you had to go thru seeing your one girl dead and other dying!
there are no words... especially when we love them so much, they are our family...

8am on Saturday is awful late for a raccoon to be out and about... so sad...
Ann
Prayerwheel
Sunland, CA
Post #: 84
Oh I am so sorry to hear of your loss Matthew, that is heartbreakingcrying
Blessings
Ann
Amanda G
user 12128708
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 79
Omg that is terrible! I've seen coyotes at 9:30am well past their bedtimes.... I guess if they are hungry enough they have the motivation to wait up. They obviously are very smart and learned your routine of letting the girls out at 7am... :( I read somewhere that urban coyotes even know trash pickup days!!! I'm sure the raccoons are waiting in line right behind them. Has anyone tried using a radio as a predator deterent ???
Carrie G.
user 15135741
Reseda, CA
Post #: 40
I'm so sorry for your loose. I've been there too.
JoAnna
joannapaloma
Alhambra, CA
Post #: 155
crying So sorry to hear that.
A former member
Post #: 129
Oh, I know this! SO So sorry for your trauma and the suffering birds. I lost a dear lil roo, bantam Polish/Cochin cross, to a persistent 'coon. They can be VERY aggressive when hungry and with the drying up of natural areas, their food supply is probably diminishing. Recently I caught a juvenile opossom chasing one of my Belgian Bearded d'Uccles in the morning while I was out doing chores!! He was not about to give in, even when I poked a grass rake at him. He lives under the garden shed and is very habituated. I never feed him and take in all food bowls, or things he would eat, but there is enough in the neighborhood to keep him here. I think the other writers are correct---the 'coons learn the routine and watch and wait, because the reward is good enough.
Arlynn L.
user 52839982
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 3
We were told that raccoons out in the daytime are rabid. Have you been able to call Animal Control? Or do you have to keep your chickens a secret?
A former member
Post #: 26
Sorry to hear about your tragic loss. I never heard about a raccoon attack during daytime. I know we have them here in Van Nuys. I don't let my chickens free range until 9 or 10am anyway, but only for the purpose of having them lay their eggs in the coop and not in the yard.
A former member
Post #: 130
We were told that raccoons out in the daytime are rabid. Have you been able to call Animal Control? Or do you have to keep your chickens a secret?

Did you mean to say "COULD BE rabid"? I do not think this is a definitive, scientific diagnosis....be careful, this is how misinformation streams get disseminated.