Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › new egg laid . eeeeewwwwwwwww

new egg laid . eeeeewwwwwwwww

Chris L.
LaLoomis
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 73
Brandi,

I'm glad to hear from the people who are fermenting their feed. I'm hoping to get my act together soon to give it at try. I really enjoyed the Sprouting and Fermenting meetup.

Fermenting alleviates my concern about feed oxidizing once it is ground. How do your birds like it?
Brandi G
user 48566262
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 123
Chris,

I find fermenting is easy once you get a good culture going. It takes just a couple of minutes a day and my girls really like (and waste less) of the FF. I just started with water, Bragg ACV and some feed in a 5 gal bucket. Now I just stir and throw a cup or two of feed and some water in the bucket every day or so. My culture has been going for a number of months now. Maybe 6 or more and I never empty it fully or clean it. I just strain out the liquid each day and add new feed. I have found that unground grains seem to work fine with FF. they integrate together within a few days and I do almost nothing except mix the dry feed every few weeks. It takes maybe an hour to measure it out and then I scoop as needed.

My girls seem happy, healthy and all that. I also can control soy, corn and any other old thing I don't want in my feed. It's not that expensive since the waste is lower and I'm hoping it helps with any health issues that I may run into.

My food is never old and if I have extra, I just use it as plant food. It works great for that, by the way. I just water it down and toss it in the garden. The earthworms LOVE fermented chicken food. I have so many earthworms in my grass and garden, it's ridiculous. If I dig up a shovel of dirt, I get maybe 10 or more worms each time. Happy soil= happy garden.
Amanda G
user 12128708
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 127
Hey Brandi I just dumped out and restarted my FF ... I too have had the same bucket for a good 6 months but my girls didn't seem to be eating much. I was worried it had gotten too ripe for their taste and decided to start over.

What did you end up with as your whole grain mix?? I was too busy to chime in during your conversation so sorry if I missed it!!
Brandi G
user 48566262
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 129
Amanda,

I did peas, corn, milo, BOSS, alfalfa, barley, whole oats, lentils, quinoa, trace minerals and some oyster shell to make my own feed. I did not mill any of it, just mix it and toss it in with some pellets, crumbles and lay mash I had laying around. So far, so good and it integrates into a gruel within a day or two.

I may give my bucket a rinse as well, but add a small amount of the "juice" that's left to start the culture. Did you start over with ACV and water? Mine have been eating less also but I wasn't sure if it was because there are more bugs and stuff to eat?
nora
user 12397577
Monterey Park, CA
Post #: 35
so far, only the two balloon like eggs. since then regular hard shell.