Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › SAN PEDRO SCIENCE CENTER NEEDS EMERGENCY HELP WITH LIVESTOCK!

SAN PEDRO SCIENCE CENTER NEEDS EMERGENCY HELP WITH LIVESTOCK!

Vickie
Spinster_Sister
Hawthorne, CA
Post #: 250
I received a call from Nan at the Vic and Bonnie Christensen Science Center in San Pedro about them losing their animals. Nan was very frantic and upset that they have to find homes for their chickens, geese, ducks, Shetland pony and goats. The LAUSD director for the science center has given them until this Friday to find homes or they will be euthanized.
If you can help by taking in some birds, perhaps other animals it would be greatly appreciated. Nan is trying to secure a time extension but it does not look good at all. The aim is to get rid of the Science Center and because she or the group is not a 501C charity, it is more easily accomplished than if it were. The property is on LAUSD land. I am also calling a few other places, perhaps Gentle Barn will take in some, but many of the sanctuaries/farms are overfilled.
She has pure bred chickens, including Silver Sebrights.

Nan 310 989 5989

For more info the local paper ran a short article on it: http://www.dailybreez...­
Laura B.
LauraBonilla
Group Organizer
Norco, CA
Post #: 535
Shelters are overfilled but probably not the breeders...

I passed the number to a local breeder here in Norco... maybe others can do the same... better for these animals to get to breeders who can find homes for them (even if it's for money, why not? they will feed and care for them) over a period of time... than being put to sleep over the weekend!

Thanks Vickie for trying to help these creatures...

A former member
Post #: 220
I am friends with Nan, too, and recently adopted 2 of the ducks. Nan has always had a tough slog with the school district, and this is their final insult. Makes me seethe with anger---the bureaucracy is heartless. Here is a fluff piece that ran in the local paper in March, that hardly says a thing about Nan, the one doing all the work. I am so sad about this http://www.dailybreez...­
A former member
Post #: 221
HI, folks ---its pretty bad there. Just got off the phone with Nan, several of the animals have already died through bungling maneuvers by part time staff---a young goose I just met last weekend is dead of aspergillosis ---Nan is crying and frantic about the cruel and callous attitude by the school dist. towards these living beings. I sent a note to the reporter Louis Sahagun at the LA Times and the reporter from the Daily Breeze. I hope they bring some exposure to this awful plan. This makes me so sick with fear and heartache....
Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 582
I just called Nan and she has a ton of people that have called and she is working on where they will go but she has places to put all of them and she will let us know if she still needs help but she doesn't need any more calls at this point.

Thanks for all the interest.
Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 583
Oh and she said that the science center is trying to find homes for the animals at other schools and the other ones will be given to those who already called. The pony and goats are going to gentle barn I believe if another school doesn't adopt them.
A former member
Post #: 222
Roberta---I hope this pans out---there are a LOT of animals there. The site is right across from Paul's house, the guy I do most of my bee rescues with, and I have talked to Nan many times and walked around. She has tried so hard, but is exhausted with the bullying by LAUSD.
Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 584
She is definitely exhausted. She's had so many calls she is an overwhelmed which i guess is good.....
JJ
user 80252532
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 43
Sorry I missed this when it was first posted. Please post if any of the animals still need homes.
A former member
Post #: 223
I spent a good deal of Thursday on the phone with this project (even though I was at my job as a dental hygienist,too!) and here is the note I sent to the many who had helped and come forward to offer help.

Hi, all helpers---it appears, with exposure of the various failings of the LAUSD by the community, neighbors and animal rescue activists, in a mediation brokered by the national group, Farm Sanctuary, that the bullies have backed off. I have been talking to Farm Sanctuary staff who contacted the communication office for the district and advised them of the poor reputation impact and embarrassment that would result from continuing to throttle the "science center" ---they have backpeddled big time and taken the offer to work with FS in bringing cages and housing up to code and improving communication with Nan--- the heart and blood of the real on the ground work.
At this point Nan is much happier and feeling completely surprised by their questions of "how can we help you?" Farm Sanctuary is continuing to stay in communication with the district and hold them to rectifying the many problems in housing and care that Nan has struggled with, and the site will have a visit from Farm Sanctuary staff to check on progress. The pony needs her vaccines, too, and that is part of the deal. She was never a candidate for adoption as the district has refused to update her equine encephalitis vaccinations. Thanks for making lots of noise as the district clearly was taken aback at all the emails, phone calls and FB action on this debacle. Susan Rudnicki