addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › SAN PEDRO SCIENCE CENTER NEEDS EMERGENCY HELP WITH LIVESTOCK!

SAN PEDRO SCIENCE CENTER NEEDS EMERGENCY HELP WITH LIVESTOCK!

A former member
Post #: 224
By the way, the property was given to the LAUSD by the original housing developer in the area, for the exclusive purpose of being the teaching center that it is---with animals, gardens, (a wood shop, at one time) and classes for enrichment. The district is disallowed from ever selling it and if they should decide to close the center, the property reverts to the original grantees estate. This was explained to me by a neighbor across the street from the science center who has lived in the area since the homes were built. Many of the neighbors made calls to the district superintendent when this latest fracas at the science center erupted. The sup's secretary said their office was overwhelmed with calls!
Vickie
Spinster_Sister
Hawthorne, CA
Post #: 252
Just found out that the LAUSD is backpedaling and looking to get rid of chickens even to be sold as meat chickens. LAUSD agreed with FS to update cages and the man supposed to go build cages for the animals was just dismissed and Nan is exhausted. Because the SC is not "open" on the weekends, nobody is there to feed/water the animals so Nan goes on her own free time to do such...and despite repeated instructions to helpers about securing the animals at night, the bantams were left out last night and probably predated.
New restrictions have been placed on her, such as:
absolutely no telephone usage on grounds, no photos, no longer help with surrenders/strays (she is a vet tech) even giving advice.
The new cages must be up to Animal Welfare Act regulations... (have to check up on that) and the LAUSD is up in arms over how/who was the source of the information regarding the garbage going on at the SC. What was also told was that the SC will no longer take in animals from the shelter or surrender, rather go out and buy the animals (waste of school money) that would be on premises....
A former member
Post #: 225
Yes---this has happened and I spent a good deal of SAturday talking with Farm Sancturary, Susie Coston, Nat'l shelter director, and Meredith, media relations. The LAUSD is awful. I am making a call to the Harbor dist. Animal Control supervisor on Monday, as Nan says she has had a good relationship with him for 6 years. I have got the testimony of neighbors and the guy who preceded Nan as caretaker and worked there, under the same great duress for 25 years---Bill Fitzpatrick.
The 2 administrators/petty bureaucrats doing most of the hazing are saying Nan will be fired for "insubordination" since they said she is spreading vile "rumors" about the SC. This is after their saccharine treatment on Thursday with telling FS and Nan they were ready to do all sorts of improvement and reassure Nan her job was not in jeopardy! I will copy and post the letter I sent yesterday to FS---Nan has been under this yoke for 8 years, and has extensive notebooks recording all the horrific issues.
Carrie G.
user 15135741
Reseda, CA
Post #: 50
What about Pierce College? Their animal husbandry people would be sympathetic I think.
Vickie
Spinster_Sister
Hawthorne, CA
Post #: 254
Came home to a message from Nan saying that the chickens have to be gone by the end of today.
Laura B.
LauraBonilla
Group Organizer
Norco, CA
Post #: 540
this is getting very confusing and I'm sure as Susan noted, it's all part of the huge drama going on in there... we were told (here on this forum, not sure on this or another related thread) to NOT call Nam or do anything anymore... I got the impression she was overwhelmed by all the people/places willing to take the animals... what happened?

Feel really sorry mostly for the animals who called this place home and who knows where they will all end up at :(
JJ
user 80252532
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 44
just saw the update, let me know if something needs to happen Tuesday.