Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › pine shavings

pine shavings

A former member
Post #: 1
I went to red barn feed in Tarzana last Saturday to buy pine shavings and was told they no longer sell pine shavings in bulk. They now only sell the 1000 cu in (compressed) package by Kaytee for $8.00. So, now I have to find a new place to buy pine shavings from. On the bright side, I don't have to endure their crappy customer service.

Does anyone in the SFV use pine shavings and if so, where do you get yours from? Does anyone use something other than pine shavings?
user 38945632
Porter Ranch, CA
Post #: 4
Hi Daniel-

I'm quite new to all this, but I read that you should avoid cedar, straw and hay. Chickens are allergic to cedar and if you use hay or straw, they will attract lice, house mites and other pests.

We went to check out Red Barn in Tarzana last week & their service was luke warm too. I'd like to know if you find a new place to buy pine shavings.

We haven't gotten our chickens yet, just doing all of our homework first. =)

Thanks & good luck,

mike n.
user 18212811
Los Angeles, CA
I get a 30 gallon trash bag full of pine shavings from my local indie pendant lumber store ( eagle rock hardware in eagle rock , $5 ). You can also get large bags from damoor's in glendale .

If I had to do it again , I would recommend pine sawdust over shavings as my two hens treat the nesting box ( where they never lay eggs ) like a pine shavings salad bar . Whether there is poo or not .

Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 33
I was wondering about them eating the shavings. I like the texture and smell better than straw but it dosn't seem to last long unless thick on the chicken coop floor because they eat so much. I was worried about the lumber places just because of the possibility of treated lumber. There is a place in downtown that will give away tons of sawdust but i was worried that the dust would get into their lungs...
user 22850431
Los Angeles, CA
Would Stephens Hay and Grain on Riverside near Griffith Park have it? They've always been nice/friendly.
anna g.
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 7
Hi There-
I've been using hay for 16 years. My hens have never had mites, lice, etc. It works great and they love it.
Elaine J.
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 49
I've been using timothy hay since I got my birds. It comes in bags, at Damoor's. They love it, it's softer than regular hay, and they get to eat some of it, too. I have no lice, no mites...but that may be because I add a little cider vinegar to their water. I was told this is a good, natural way to keep parasites away, and it seems to be working. Now, if I could just keep their butts cleaner...
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 117
I've been using the pine shavings from Damoor's in Hollywood - it's around $8-9 for a pretty decent sized cube. I really like the shavings in general, and especially the stuff Damoor's carries which is called Dry Nest, since it is much less dusty than other types I've tried, so I'm not breathing in sawdust as I work in the coop (and neither are the girls).

As for the hens eating it, mine do too, but it doesn't seem to do them any harm and it probably contributes some bulk fiber to their diet that they must need. As for eating where their poo is, well . . . . let's face it. They're chickens and they scratch and snack where their poo is all the time throughout their run, with no ill effects. I don't think it's actually the poopy parts they're trying to eat, but more the bugs and bug eggs that we might not even see that are mixed in with the dirt.
user 4148344
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 54
Kiln dried pine.....Henco
vickie p.
user 21810341
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 34
has anyone tried Kahoots i think in northridge? i've yet to check it out but have a chicken loving friend who shops there for all her needs.