Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Dying chicken

Dying chicken

Jo
user 19646101
Fullerton, CA
Post #: 7
My 1 year old Black Astrolorp (Jeena) has taken a severe turn for the worse. A few weeks back her and my barred rock stopped laying. I had a vet come out to see them who recommended deworming. Did that.
I started get brown eggs again so I thought all was well.
Then Jeena's comb started looking pale and she wasn't laying again. When she started looking lethargic and her eyes droopy I called the vet back out. The vet didn't see any discharge, or foul odor so she recommended I give her (and them) an antibiotic, Sulmet for 3 days. Did that.
AS of yesterday, Jeena wasn't moving at all. She was just laying there with her head down on the ground. I tried moving her, noticed she would lean to the right, her head was cocked to the right too. It was so hot out so I tried getting her to drink, she wouldn't move. I tried all I could to get water in her, she wold nibble a bit when I placed her beak in the dish but barely. I didn't see her making it through the night, since she couldn't even get up to go in the coop.
Today, she is still laying there, eyes closed but still hanging on. I moved her into a carrier so the others wouldn't peck at her, which they were doing. I feel awful seeing her suffer like this, but have no idea what happened as I did everything the vet recommended. I don't see how much longer she can last like this, if it wasn't for the breathing and occasional eye blinking when moved, one would think she was dead right now.

Has something like this happened to anyone else? Any idea what went wrong?
JoAnna
joannapaloma
Alhambra, CA
Post #: 146
So sorry Jo. I wonder if Jeena got overheated. That happened during this heat wave to my friend's chicken. She brought her in the house for a day with the AC, dipped her legs and feet in cold water and "forced" liquid down her with a dropper. She said her chicken nearly died as well. Tippie couldn't stand and was completely lethargic like yours. Apparently she recovered as quickly as she fell ill.

I hope Jeena doesn't die. Keep us posted.

Laura B.
LauraBonilla
Group Organizer
Norco, CA
Post #: 203
hello Jo,
i'm SOOO sorry for Jeena... strange that the vet couldn't tell what was wrong with her :(

I've had a few of my adult hens go thru exactly that when I was in San Dimas and the landlord was putting poison around the property to deal with rats... I didn't know what was killing them... they would go weak, pale, feathers all fluffed, on the ground, not moving... the whole thing would take around 3 days...

I'm sure it would be many things... but in my case it was 'food poisoning'... they were eating little dead mice who had died from the poison...

a bunch of my younger ones survived the poisoning... I took them inside my house 24x7, gave them water (deep their beak in it since they would not drink much), kale... anything that they would eat I would give (at the worst time of their illness they don't eat or drink much)... I held them a lot in my arms all I could... I would take them outside to get sun and lay on the soil... they made it... almost a miracle... none of my adults ones made it though...

hope Jeena starts feeling better... amazing that she is still alive... hold her a lot... deep her beak in water...

keep us posted,
Jo
user 19646101
Fullerton, CA
Post #: 8
Thanks for the replies. I keep checking on her and she seems quite contorted to the right. Her head is cocked to the one side, and won't move. I wonder if this means anything? If jostled enough she'll stand slightly to adjust her legs, but immediately lays back down.
Laura B.
LauraBonilla
Group Organizer
Norco, CA
Post #: 204
Thanks for the replies. I keep checking on her and she seems quite contorted to the right. Her head is cocked to the one side, and won't move. I wonder if this means anything? If jostled enough she'll stand slightly to adjust her legs, but immediately lays back down.

could you bring her inside and have her stay comfortable away from the heat --- Joanna is right, could be that...
I would try to force water too, with a dropper... good luck...
A former member
Post #: 197
Sorry Jo. I have a couple of questions (1) are you sure the brown eggs were from this hen (2) have you checked for egg binding and (3) is he abdomen bloated?
A former member
Post #: 26
My black silkie had exact same symptoms: not eating, laying on the side, head down on the ground. She is at the age when she will start laying any day now, so I thought she was egg bound. She is back to normal now, so I think she might was overheated. Black color doesn't reflect light, it absorbs it, so black chickens have more chances to overheat. But, as Marty said, Jeena could be egg bound.
Jo
user 19646101
Fullerton, CA
Post #: 9
Thank you all for your replies. I did have her examined by a vet twice and she did not appear to be egg bound as far as she could tell.
The vet came back out again to look at her yesterday as she kept getting worse and worse and unfortunately she just didn't make it. The vet believes she must have contracted some virus, as she had quite a fever. She became totally immobile, and the lack of food probably didn't help her condition. The vet took her with her and said she would examine her a bit to see if she could figure out what happened to make sure that the other 2 aren't at risk.
My neighbor had come by earlier yesterday while I was trying to care for her and force water and told me that a similar thing happened to his entire flock of 6. They would get sick, leaning to one side and eventually die. He said one after the other they all went. He's convinced it is due to some virus.

I feel totally heartbroken that this happened, as I wish there was something more I could've done to save her. I get so sad going out there and just seeing the 2 there instead of 3. :(
I didn't imagine this would affect me so much but it has--I really couldn't take seeing how much she was suffering.

Still don't know what happened. I don't think it was the heat as she seemed to be sick for some time, slowly getting worse and worse. Is 1 -year old too old for Marek's? Could that have been it? I got them all from Dare2Dream and know that they weren't immunized, but I really just don't know.
Laura B.
LauraBonilla
Group Organizer
Norco, CA
Post #: 211
so sorry Jo that your girl didn't make it... if she was suffering that much, probably she is in a much better place now. I'm SURE you did all you could... and I'm also sure she is from heaven thanking you for the wonderful life you provided, as short as it was... I know how it feels, I've lost a few, it is so sad... and only time heals...

Victoria Fisk posted on the other 'dying chicken' post the address to send your hen to be examined... not sure if your vet is planning to do an exam in depth, but it would be a good to consider Victoria's idea (she provided address and details and it's FREE)... it may greatly help the chances of your other hens and those of your neighbors... especially if it's something that goes around...

let us know if there is anything we can do for you,
JoAnna
joannapaloma
Alhambra, CA
Post #: 148
Sorry to hear that. crying