Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › NEW DOMINATRIX HEN IS TERRORIZING MY GIRLS

NEW DOMINATRIX HEN IS TERRORIZING MY GIRLS

Melonie M.
meloniemagruder
North Hollywood, CA
Post #: 65
I recently got a couple of new hens to add to my flock. They are about 18 months old - one a Plymouth Rock Columbian and the other unknown. As soon as we introduced the new girls, the Columbian (I call her Tas, for Tough As Shit) started kicking ass on my old girls. I thought it would only be for the first day, but it has continued and I have had to rescue my more docile girls from this new bully.

How can I teach Tas some manners?
Laura B.
LauraBonilla
Group Organizer
Norco, CA
Post #: 228
hi Melanie,
sorry about your new Tas (love the name, lol)... same happened to me when I adopted 3 girls from this forum 2 years ago... one was a total aggressive dominating male-ish hen... you have no idea ALL what I tried... grounding her, separating her, talking with her, and all kind of Cesar Millan's techniques, and NOTHING worked... it's in her genes to be dominating and come across as very aggressive...

I even abandoned her (well, not exactly- just left her behind when I moved to Norco - gave her to the next door neighbor who has free range chickens in a ranch type property)... Olga found her way back the very next day (in an amazing way) where I found her roaming around the empty land and empty coop and crying (as I went to finished moving and there were no chickens anymore) --- and I didn't have the heart to leave her... I sat down and had a talk with her (at her, that is :)... and took her to Norco and I put her in a different coop with a different rooster... she behaved well for a while and little by little her dark side came out again...

I'm telling you all this to say, it's pretty much a lost cause to trying change them - Olga is a RIR - a breed known as a bit on the bitchy side...

Thanks GOD when I had to separate all my roosters I had the sense to take her and gave her to my RIR rooster who had NO girls... was he happy or what!!!???? she hated it and fought him but the boy won... then I went to the local breeder and ask for another RIR because I wanted my boy Omar to have at least 2 girls... I told the breeder I needed a aggressive bird and she came out with the most confident RIR she had... she is Olivia and she is awesome... now, three months later, there are NO fights - Olivia is bigger than Olga so I don't care if Olga decided to be aggressive... Olvia can handle it...

So, hope someone has some answers for you... but I don't believe in anything that includes cruel treatment including these peepers or anything like that... i see it as cruel... just my view of the world...

From my experience and what I works for me is to have chickens be a similar size... because, again, in my experience, it's lots easier for the little ones to live in peace and fearlessly with alpha hens that are their same size... i have lots of banties, and Olga did NOT belong with my smaller hens... now I have peace for them and peace for me...

If I were you, I would adopt her out... that is what I should have done instead of keeping her as long as I did...

ps, maybe I should get her from you and dump her with Olga and Olivia... she will be with like mind individuals... just kidding biggrin
Marie M.
user 45254602
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 8
Hi Melonie -

Boy, can I relate! I have a Plymouth Barred Rock that is a twin to your Tas. Geez, this hen is something else. What's funny is that she was a total spur of the moment purchase. I got her because a solo silkie hen was available and everyone said to get another chick so I got Callie who was just a day or two old. The silkie was 2 months already. Boy, those two are tight! But I already had an order for 5 day old (silkies, polish, BO, silver laced wyandotte). So the babies came about 6 weeks ago and Callie chases them and torments them so much that I have to chase her to get her to knock it off. I've done everything including threatening her to put her in my next batch of chicken soup (I wound never but I was trying anything) but she continues on. I'm hoping that as the others get to be her size, she'll stop or at least slow down. She is one BIG girl though. I know she has it in her to be maternal. She is such a good hen to Lola, my silkie. Anyway, I hope things settle down for you. You get attached to all of them and it would hard to to let any of them go.