Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › valbazen in LA area?

valbazen in LA area?

zara
Zarabee
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 13
One of my chickens has worms and I checked 2 feed stores in Burbank but they did not carry Valbazen. Does anyone know of a place in the LA area that carries it? I've only found Safe Guard paste, but Valbazen is suppose to be better.
Laura B.
LauraBonilla
Group Organizer
Norco, CA
Post #: 229
One of my chickens has worms and I checked 2 feed stores in Burbank but they did not carry Valbazen. Does anyone know of a place in the LA area that carries it? I've only found Safe Guard paste, but Valbazen is suppose to be better.

have you read of the sides effects of valbazen? I wonder if there are natural remedies for this? cayenner pepper? ACV? I know for humans tumeric is AWESOME for parasites and worms and related stuff... I wonder if it works for chickens too?

let us know what you end up using and what does the trick for you...

good luck,

Leanne
user 11879008
Long Beach, CA
Post #: 102
Hi,

A number of veterinary medications, often suggested by backyard poultry keepers from other parts of the country, are restricted or prohibited for use in California. I think Valbazen might be one of them. If it is available here, you might only be able to get it through a vet. Or try an online source, but if Valbazen is prohibited in CA, they probably won't ship it to you. Best of luck.
zara
Zarabee
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 14
Thanks! I use ACV in their water each time that I fill it & DE in the coop. ACV doesn't do anything for worms & DE is for the type of worms that spread via soil. From my research (and others in the area maybe experiencing the same thing, so i'll go into more detail in this post) the current heat wave is responsible for the worm problem my chicken has. The heat has caused an increase in cockroaches & beatles (which carry certain types of roundworms). This is the first time in 5 yrs that I've seen cockroaches & beatles in my house. The chickens eat them in the yard & get the worms. The Darrow chicken health book/bible says to not worm your chickens unless they are acting/looking sick. My Easter Egger hen is acting fine, just laying smaller than normal eggs. She then had bright green poops with worms in them ( tiny rice looking ones). The bright green poop can be a sign of dehydration. In this heat I didn't want to risk it with worms eating up her nutrients inside of her & further dehydration (and mail order drugs take too long). I ended up using the Safeguard horse paste (from the feed store on Riverside & Victory, I forget the name) that you can give orally to just the chicken that needs it. It was so easy to administer - just a pea size amount, that she actually pecked right off the tip of the syringe (apparently it tastes good to hens). You withhold food for 24 hours & don't eat the eggs for 2 weeks. I just gave it to her yesterday afternoon, so fingers crossed & I'lll be inspecting all the hens poop this afternoon. Safeguard is the second recommended type of wormer. There are so many posts regarding worming on backyard chicken that my head almost exploded trying to sort it all out & what to use.
Amanda G
user 12128708
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 50
I just saw Valbazen in a feed store in El Monte last weekend. Its on Durfee??? just off Valley .... I have no idea what it is called!! But I was surprised to see it ... I had my hens pooping out roundworms and I tried every natural remedy I could find.... even "wormers" One of the natural places I contacted actually told me that if there was/ is a heavy infestation she recommended worming with a chemical wormer and then following up with hers ..... I did 2 courses at 10 day intervals as that is what I read is most effective.... 1st safeguard and then valbazen.... I just had a fecal down on my hen and no parasites were found! Glad you found some safeguard and if you want to do a followup with Valbazen I have a HUGE bottle that I'll never get through!!!

zara
Zarabee
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 15
Good info! It's been two weeks now since I did the safeguard and no signs of worms.
Laura B.
LauraBonilla
Group Organizer
Norco, CA
Post #: 265
yeah great news... I'm glad for your hens,

thanks for the update!