addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Looking for a LF roo............

Looking for a LF roo............

Nancy
user 13913292
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 21
Hi All, I must have been in the sun way too long today cleaning the chicken coop. I see the writing on the wall and I must prepare myself for what is to come. I have Mr. Roo in my main yard and his brother Mr. Red in the 2nd coop. The problem is that they are Freedom Rangers that are approaching their 1st B-day. I can see them slowing down.

I am looking for a VERY friendly LF rooster. I want them to protect the ladies and let them know that there are goodies or danger. I can be convinced into 2. Only LF please. You can send me a pic of what you have.

They will live on horse property and will free range in the fruit tree grove and they are put into a coop at night. I am open to visitation.

Nancy

Laura B.
FarmerLaura
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 49
Hi Nancy,

I have two red sexlink cockerals that hatched out of the eggs that Roberta gave me. They are 3 weeks old tomorrow. If they take after their father, Roberta's Peewee, they will be great roo's. Let me know if you are interested.
Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 157
More info. The sexlinks are from a rhode island red rooster (Peewee the wonderful) and rhode island white hen. The buffs are girls and the white ones are roosters. So they won't be as cute as peewee unless you like white roosters. The boy RIR hopefully should take after PeeWee.

I'll post a pic of peewee and some video of them. Peewee is a fierce fighter and was able to keep our two dogs pinned into a corner when they tried to eat some of our hens. They are both 50lb dogs a rot and jindo mixes so Peewee isn't scared of anyone. When a girl makes the slightest noise of concern he is like superman and runs in a flash and circles them until he knows all is ok. It's amazing to see how he protects. And he clucks to let them know when food has arrived. I need to get a picture of that. It would be great to see his boys grow up to be just like him. If you get any of them it would be great to hear how things turn out.
Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 158
OK i put some video of the three of them up.

Peewee and his girls

And here's a picture from my phone so not the best ...

Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 160
oh and FYI, not sure if it's just these guys but our black copper marans rooster is a pussy. I wouldn't suggest one of those roosters. Our RIR hen pushes him around all the time and he's twice her size.
Laura B.
FarmerLaura
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 52
Red Sexlink Roosters are white with color leakage. Some have just a dusting of color or patterning, while others may have vibrantly colored patches.

Feathersite has some good pictures of different kinds of sexlinks: http://www.feathersit...­

Laura B.
LauraBonilla
Group Organizer
Norco, CA
Post #: 238
Nancy, excuse my ignorance, but what is "LF"? you clearly indicate "Only LF please" --- I am just wondering... not that I have a rooster for you... but I just got an email from Animal Place, where I adopted 8 from the 50,000 abandoned hens... looks like they trying to place 114 roosters who were confiscated from a hoarder... maybe one is a "LF"??? :)

here is part of the email I received
Chicken Brigade Needs Your Help!
Help us help 114 roosters confiscated from a hoarder and currently living in individual rabbit cages at the Santa Barbara County animal shelter. The birds will not be euthanized, but we want to see them free in permanent homes, not cages. Check out our flyer and see if you can help by adopting a rooster... you just need to contact us at marji at animalplace.org.
Nancy
user 13913292
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 22
Hi Laura & Roberta, Thanks for the clarification. Like I said, I am looking for VERY friendly. Are the chicks raised by a broody? From my experience, hand raised chicks are way more friendly. It depends of course. What are the colors of the boys? 2 white w/ the leakage? And 1 RIR? I will most likely only be interested in the RIR.

Laura, My apologies, it was late when I posted and I guess I was lazy. LF = LARGE Fowl
Which just means I do not want bantams. I am looking for BiG roosters. I really have not thought about Animal Place. I figured that whoever hatches will have roos and so many cities do not allow them that I thought it would be easy to find.

Nancy
Laura B.
FarmerLaura
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 56
Hi Nancy,

I have 3 RIR chicks that I believe are cockerels, but it will be at least a couple of weeks before I can be sure. I would be happy to give you one or more of those, but there is a chance that you'll get a hen. That doesn't worry me, if it doesn't worry you.

They were raised by a broody, but I have been handling them since they were a day old. I got scolded, pecked and once even flogged by Mama Orp because I kept picking up her chicks. I try to pick up each chick at least once a day, but some of them look identical, so the bold and/or slow moving get handled more often. At this point, they yell, but are not terrified when they are picked up. One of the red sexlink boys is very friendly, and runs up to me whenever I go into the pen (because the early bird gets first shot at the treats, don't you know). If I put my hand on the ground with treats in it, the two RSL's and one of the RIR chicks that I think is a cockerel will walk all over my hand to hog the treats. The others tend to dart in to take a treat and run away with it. While they have not been handled as much as my hatchery birds were, I have made sure they have the ground work laid to be easy to handled and friendly to people.

I will say that there are no guarantees with roosters. They can be very friendly as chicks and young adults, then turn into a nightmare when they grow up. If you take one or two of these chicks, I will always take it back if it does not work out for you.

If you are interested, I can take video of the chicks this evening. Shoot me your email to lkbeck1 at aoldotcom, and I will send it to you. Bear in mind on the RSL's that they show gray instead of red on their juvenile feathers, so they currently are white with gray splashes.
Laura B.
LauraBonilla
Group Organizer
Norco, CA
Post #: 241

Laura, My apologies, it was late when I posted and I guess I was lazy. LF = LARGE Fowl
Which just means I do not want bantams. I am looking for BiG roosters. I really have not thought about Animal Place. I figured that whoever hatches will have roos and so many cities do not allow them that I thought it would be easy to find.

Nancy

hello Nancy,

no need for apologies!as I said, pardon my ignorance... thanks for clarifying, lol...
you are absolutely correct, roosters are EVERYWHERE ready to adopt... a few want roosters and many others can't take them...

I like to remind people about Animal Place, especially that they are coming to LA again in a few weeks. I just try to support shelters and sanctuaries before adopting from hatchers or breeders... sometimes I do, as a last option... same with dogs and cats, I stay away from 'hatchers' and breeders - I feel as I'm helping the disadvantaged by doing so... just an idea. :)