align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfullheartglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › quietest breeds?

quietest breeds?

Leanne
user 11879008
Long Beach, CA
Post #: 104

Keep in mind that there are going to be extremely quiet individuals of even the noisiest breeds and loud individuals of the quietest.

I agree with Laura. I have raised Black Australorp, Easter Egger, Buff Orpington, Black Jersey Giant, and Barred Plymouth Rock. Some of those were quiet, but a few were pretty noisy. I think where they are in the flock hierarchy can sometimes be factor in how talkative they are.

Bantam Cochins have been the quietest breed I have kept. There were a few individual Cochins I have raised that were talkative every once in a while, but many days, I never hear my flock. Some don't even sing an egg song. The one big exception was one of my hens did crow for a few months, but a change to the flock across the street and a moult corrected it. She is back at our house and is a typical quiet Cochin once again.

A number of years ago, I started a poll at BYC asking for folks to rate their quietest breed. Click here to read the results and comments. Out of about 150 flock owners voting, Cochin was the winner as quietest. And after 2 1/2 years of raising them myself, the majority have have been very quiet.

If you are looking for eggs layers, Bantam Cochins are surprisingly pretty decent. Granted the egg size is between small to medium, but they lay at least as well as Buff Orpingtons, even a little better. Most of my hens lay 4 to 5 times a week, when not broody, of course. However, with bantams you can have twice as many, so we have plenty of eggs for our family.

Best Wishes.
Ann
Prayerwheel
Sunland, CA
Post #: 11
Thanks Elaine for the info! What were the criteria that made you decide the Australorps were the right breed for you?
I'm going to check our that website you mentioned too!
Cheers!
Ann
Elaine J.
ElaineJesmer
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 117
Hi, Ann ...

I wanted docile birds that were heavy layers, and I wanted brown eggs. The Australorps were the best fit. In fact, they were the only birds listed as "docile". They are a variant of Buff Orpingtons, and the biggest difference, from what I read, is that they lay more. I get an egg every other day, and they're over 2 years old. I have never had a moment of regret..except maybe that I didn't get them as chicks. They will let me pet them and pick them up, but they don't cuddle. I'm hoping my newbie will let me pick her up and hold her more. But that's such a small quibble, when these wonderful birds do everything else perfectly. I am totally crazy about them.
Ann
Prayerwheel
Sunland, CA
Post #: 12
Really helpful info! Elaine I checked out Dare 2 Dreams website= quite extensive variety selection!
Leanne that survey was interesting and helpful thank you .
So it's looking like the top breeds I'm interested in are BO, Austrulorps, silkies & Bantam Cochin for an overall variety of good temperament &eggs.
My question to you all is; would it be possible to have a small flock consisting of 1 of each and have them all get along ? Would they all have to be babies and be raised together in order for that to be possible?
Cheers!
Ann
A former member
Post #: 33
I have 3 girls, a Cochin, an Australorp, and a Brahma. They are all very quiet and hardly ever make any noise that a neighbor could hear. They will do their egg song maybe 2-3 a week even though they lay everyday. Their song lasts about 20-30 seconds and then they stop. I would have to say out of the three, the Cochin could be right behind you and you'd never know it. She is so quiet. They are all very very friendly.

A friend of mine has chickens, she doesn't know the breed. When she comes to my house she can't believe how little noise mine make. I gave the lady who lives across the street eggs and her reply after saying thank you was, "I didn't even know that you had chickens." She walks by my backyard often throughout the day. My house in on the corner. She has never heard my girls.

Hope this helps. smile
Shannon B
user 14750491
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 6
My Australorp and my Cochin are the quietest. I've never heard them making noise even when laying. I got them both from Dare2Dream. My Barred Rocks are reasonably quiet.

In the noisy category I have French Black Copper Marans (2 are quiet and one very noisy), Buff Orpingtons, RIR, Black Star, and one of my silkies is a noise maker but the other two are very quiet.

The Australorp wins the prize for quiet and best egg layer. She is very timid. I wish I had gotten her as a chick so she wouldn't be as shy but she is a very sweet girl.