addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Anyone here raising worms? and a philosophical question :)

Anyone here raising worms? and a philosophical question :)

Laura B.
LauraBonilla
Group Organizer
Norco, CA
Post #: 256
THanks everyone... this information has been so helpful and I am now looking for the right "worm bin" ---

Sven, I watched the video Sven posted and I love the part of that bin where they worms actually fell into the bucket and you just feed to the chickens without having to manually pick them from your compose...

how do you guys are doing it? with what type of worm bin?

I saw a few in amazon but those didn't have the bucket for the worms to fall to... BUT the ones I saw in amazon makes composing easier because it's trays on top of trays...

so anyone willing to share what worm bin is better and EASIER I would appreciate it!

again thank you all.

ps, thanks Cynthia you're probably right on not being able to farm the beetles... it's my chickens MOST FAVORITE... so meaty and big... I'll just have to pick them up from the compose bin ---

Cynthia
bringer_o_treats
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 205
Yeah Laura I know what you mean - those beetle grubs are my girls' major addiction. I LOVE it when one of them finds one, then the others see her, and she runs around the yard with it in her beak, buckbucking with her mouth full like a little kid with a mouthful of cookies. I die laughing every time. Wish I could farm those bad boys, but I find the beetles too big, too noisy, and scary as hell. Even if I could farm them I wouldn't be brave enough! But best wishes with your wormies.
Laura B.
LauraBonilla
Group Organizer
Norco, CA
Post #: 259
Yeah Laura I know what you mean - those beetle grubs are my girls' major addiction. I LOVE it when one of them finds one, then the others see her, and she runs around the yard with it in her beak, buckbucking with her mouth full like a little kid with a mouthful of cookies. I die laughing every time. Wish I could farm those bad boys, but I find the beetles too big, too noisy, and scary as hell. Even if I could farm them I wouldn't be brave enough! But best wishes with your wormies.

thanks Cynthia... yes, I love seeing my girls running away with a 'treat' swinging from their beaks... so adorable... one day it was mice! I don't know where they came from but my boy found three baby mice and gave one to each of his girls... boy was he proud...

Haven't been able to found the worm bin Sven suggested... still looking for it...
I'll post it when I find it, because it looks really cool
Sven
user 28416502
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 16
Here is a link for the worm bin... sorry didn't realize you were actually looking for it. They are not cheap, but sometimes they sell used ones on that website as well.

Link for Black Sodier Fly Worm Bin
Laura B.
LauraBonilla
Group Organizer
Norco, CA
Post #: 266
Here is a link for the worm bin... sorry didn't realize you were actually looking for it. They are not cheap, but sometimes they sell used ones on that website as well.

Link for Black Sodier Fly Worm Bin

Thanks Sven,
that is an amazing website, so much information!!!
I'll try to educate myself before I get it, including learning to identify those flies... but definitely from the video I'm sold! I want to provide that many worms to my flock daily... my poor roosters are almost bleeding around their necks, because the girls keep pecking the feathers... haven't been able to stop it!!! hoping this helps,
thanks again,