Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Urgent need for a home for 2 leghorn pullets

Urgent need for a home for 2 leghorn pullets

Malia J.
user 10015334
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 1
Hi all,

This is a somewhat sad story that I hope to create a happy ending for. Our next door neighbors recently got chickens--there is a ~18 week old black hen and two ~12 week old white pullets, probably leghorns. The neighbors have mysteriously disappeared, and left the chickens and a small dog. There has been no sign of people for about a week, and they didn't leave enough food and water for the animals--it doesn't seem like they are just on vacation. I don't know what happened. In any case, the animals are currently safe in the shade in the neighbor's yard and I'm giving them food and water.

Today there was a notice on this neighbor's gate that animal control was called on an abandonment complaint, and that they will collect all animals on the property in 48 hours.

I'd love to find these chickens a happy home before they are destroyed. So, does anyone want some young chickens?

Major caveat: the black hen obviously and unfortunately has Merricks Disease. She is partially blind and has the classic pupil shape and cloudy eye. I have no idea if the other two hens have been vaccinated. If not, they are at high risk of developing MD too. Even if they remain healthy, these chickens are certainly carriers. I would only give this flock to someone who has previous Merrick's in their flock and is willing to ride out possible disease in the two white pullets. Also, the neighbors told me that they were all hens, but these people are (obviously) not very reliable. They could be males, I have no way of knowing.

I can easily jump over the fence and grab the chickens for anyone willing to take them home. If you only want the two apparently healthy birds, that's fine too.

There is a small black dog available too, should anyone have a dog vacancy. He's pretty cute.

Please call or message me here if you are interested: 310-936-6523

Malia
Laura B.
LauraBonilla
Group Organizer
Norco, CA
Post #: 261
Hi Malia,
I was just wondering if you were ever to find a happy ending to this story!? so sad... hope the girls got to a lovely home... I'm at max capacity right now with 37 in my flock... but again, hope there was a happy ending,

let us know,
david
user 4148344
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 86
Beware of the disease factor....sad story
Malia J.
user 10015334
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 2
No, no solution yet. Animal services took the dog. I can't take the chickens in because I don't want to put my flock at risk. More risk, that is--they are already at risk from living next door.

I'll take them to the animal shelter this weekend if no one steps in with a home.