Karen K.
user 22118271
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 16
Okay, I just need a little reassurance. One of my hens just laid a bad egg very thin shell. She didn't eat her oyster shells for the last few days and couldn't get to her regular nest today. Should I be worried? What should I watch for? I gave her voghurt and oyster shells
Laura B.
LauraBonilla
Group Organizer
Norco, CA
Post #: 264
Hi Karen,
it happens sometimes... probably nothing to worry if it's just an isolated event... once in a blue moon I find one 'bad' egg too... I would be concern if it happens regularly (and I've had - and have - that experience still with my girls I rescued from the 50,000) because they are more prone to infections and issues...

I would say try to mix the oyster shells and yogurt with things she loves... when I want to get a hen to eat more I mix lay mash in water with whatever I'm trying them to eat and add sunflower seeds... make it not too dry and not too watery... there is a perfect balance that they ADORE... they salivate over it... so, add a bit of the yogurt and oyster shells to the mix... and see what happens...

Also, I'm not sure but I think Marty had mentioned that the sunflower seeds with shell helps with this issue... is that correct Marty? I'm now giving my 'problematic group' lots of the black oil sunflowers and I'm going to see what happens after another week or so... see if I see any improvements with the shell less eggs...

good luck Karen, lets us know how it goes,