Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Better Chicken Food: Fermented, Sprouts, etc

Better Chicken Food: Fermented, Sprouts, etc

Ann
Prayerwheel
Sunland, CA
Post #: 99
Hahahaha Davey, I gave my chix scoby the past 2 days. I had to cut it up into small pieces for them though as they couldn't handle the bigger pieces (and that was no small feat those things are TOUGH!) I'm starting over with my batch and had 2 scobys to offer them.
Big crops (from what I understand) are good crops, particularly at night, you wanna make sure their crops are big for sleepytime :0)
Cheers
Ann
A former member
Post #: 285
Hey Carrie responded, that is great. I think she was the first to mention DIY feed but we were trying to get the details.

For probiotic cultured buttermilk was mentioned in a video I posted earlier (link­). Yogurt has been mentioned in the past but when I checked stores they all seem to be heavy on sugar. The video says buttermilk is better worked for her so far, using it for many years. Also mentions garlic, which Laura and possibly others have mentioned. Basically she keeps it simple, weekly garlic + ACV and if hens are weak/ill then garlic and cultured buttermilk for 10 consecutive days.
A former member
Post #: 286
This may be outdated... Feeding Chickens, by UC Davis (1987): http://animalscience....­

Edit: link for feed recipes / ratios http://www.meetup.com...­
Ann
Prayerwheel
Sunland, CA
Post #: 105
All your links are great Marty and very helpful, thank you!
Cheers!
Ann
Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 254
I think I'll try and keep all this great info on another page of our blog. I'm going to try and organize it later today. I love this topic. !!
Ann
Prayerwheel
Sunland, CA
Post #: 106
I'm with you Roberta!Loving all the inspiring info!!!
I am wondering about the video Marty was referencing? Did I miss it in a previous post?
Cheers!
Ann
Ann
Prayerwheel
Sunland, CA
Post #: 109
So I found this simple yet effective looking fodder growing system and was so excited to share!She makes a few different sizes and sells plans for them if you are a DIYer :0)

http://www.half-pinth...­

Lemme know what you think :0)
Cheers!
Ann
Karen
user 11697422
Glendale, CA
Post #: 48
That's pretty cool, but way too much for me, since I only want 4-5 chickens. You could probably get away with something much smaller, such as the ones for people; I have a sprouting device from www.sproutpeople.org I have the smaller one that looks like a large drinking glass, but I see on their site a tray type in a 5" x 6" or 8" x 10" that would make plenty. I might look into the tray type when I'm ready. Thanks for the idea!
Ann
Prayerwheel
Sunland, CA
Post #: 110
Hey Karen, thanks for that great site link! I did buy the 6 tray unit from Half Pint. I have 7 chix & I have mini horses that I want to give the fodder to as well. I like that the watering/rinsing system is automated by a timer. It seems like a great, very manageable & user friendly system. I'll keep you posted on how it works for me :0)
Cheers!
Ann
Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 256
Ann, i can't wait to hear and hopefully see how your new system works. The automatic watering sounds great. I think I'm spending about 30 minutes a day doing the setup i have now. I use 2 gallon buckets for soaking and sprouting depending on what it is. I've got the black oil sunflower seeds, wheat and oats going now. I'm using $1 garden trays with a layer of junk mail ads on the bottom to keep the seeds from moving around and then I sprinkle with water every day to keep them going. I think I'll try adding the nutribalancer from Azure farms next. I cut the stuff with a knife for the wheat and throw out the sunflower sprouts. I'm using one tray of each a day for 20+ chickens.

Here is kind of what it looks like.

Our bunny figured out how to take the lids off of the buckets so i weight the lids now but here he is in one of the sprouting buckets which is really two buckets (one with holes).

Once i spread out the 2 day sprouts on the tray they are covered for a couple more days that's wny the grass is yellow. Then it's outside for a few more days. I'm trying to go straight from soaking to outside. This is a work in progress. I'm using the grass as the living roof of our dog houses. The top of the dog house is a pallet which holds exactly 6 trays.

I usually pull out the grass as a big piece and throw it into the coop. The sunflower sprouts get thrown in. Here is Frosty enjoying some. We also juice which is why some of it looks like it's been cut off.