addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Glassel Park Coffee Shop offering coffee chaff for bedding

Glassel Park Coffee Shop offering coffee chaff for bedding

Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 228
I haven't heard about using coffee chaff as chicken bedding but will look into it. If anyone is interested in this offer let Juliet know. If you have trouble contacting her let me know. - roberta

My name is Juliet, I am a roaster at Intelligentsia Coffee in Glassell Park. I am currently trying to start a recycling program with our burlap bags, coffee chaff, used coffee grinds, etc. I was told coffee chaff makes excellent bedding for chickens! I wanted to reach out and see if anyone in your group needed chaff for bedding or if you can put me in contact with those who would be. Currently I am Craigslisting adds but there has been no interested in the past week (it is usually not a problem) and would hate to just throw it away.

I look forward to hearing from you, thanks for reading!

Take care,
Juliet Han
jhan@intelligentsiacoffee.com
Ann
Prayerwheel
Sunland, CA
Post #: 75
Great, thanks Roberta, I just emailed her!
I'm not sure what chaff is but will look into it. I know that cocoa hulls, often used for mulch, are very toxic to may animals including cats & dogs but don't have any info on the coffee by product situation.
I can always use grinds for the compost pile and burlap for mulching and weed barrier though :0)
Cheers!
Ann
sandplum
sandplum
Winnetka, CA
Post #: 19
great review and discussion about coffee chaff as litter at:

http://www.mothereart...­

Sue T.
user 10249564
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 56
I picked up a couple of bags of chaff this morning from the very nice folks at Intelligentsia. The points made in that article seem well-taken; the chaff is very light and fluffy and might need to be mixed in with pine shavings to stabilize it a little. I'm going to put some in my hen house now, and will report back here on how it works. It sure does smell good!
bill
user 31774812
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 7
Did u just go over there, I sent an email and never got a response......
Sue T.
user 10249564
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 57
Try the e-mail again; I got a quick response. Or, you can go over there anytime after 9 am, ring the doorbell, and ask for Ally. You might have to wait while they bag some for you. Sorry, I don't have any phone numbers.
Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 232
Here is more information about picking things up from Juliet:

Our works is located at:
2737 N. San Fernando Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90065

Our office hours are Mon-Fri 8:30-5. First come, first serve, though right now we have a surplus of chaff but we typically produce a 55lb gallon bag a day.

It will be best to call 323-982-8874 and ask for Ally, or email me for any questions, just to make sure we have chaff for that day.

Thank you so much!
sandplum
sandplum
Winnetka, CA
Post #: 20
On Tuesday, I wrote to Juliet and was invited to go to the roasting company to take coffee chaff and burlap. When I arrived, I was greeted by Allison, who was very nice and helpful. The chaff is in clear plastic bags.  They are large but light weight and easy to carry, and clean.  I put three bags in my back seat, and one on the front seat. We added a pile of empty burlap bags to the front seat, and we were done. So easy, and everyone is happy that we can help each other by reusing these materials. A sample of the coffee chaff was tested and found to be acidic, so it may not be the best choice for composting, but it is not considered harmful to the birds.

When I returned home, I spread one of the burlap bags on the bottom of the coop and covered it with the chaff. The stuff is super light and fluffy, and smells wonderful. I piled some more chaff on the ground in the chicken run, like I do with pine shavings. Then I sat back and watched. The birds looked at the chaff, poked around in it a bit, and walked away. The wouldn't scratch in it like they do with the pine. And every time they flap their wings, the fluffy stuff floats up in the air, and lands in the water dish. At bed time, the chickens refused to get into the coop. It doesn't look right, or smell right, or I don't know, but they weren't liking it. I added a layer of pine on top of the chaff, and that worked... everyone went inside. But on the second evening, I had the same problem getting them into the coop. So I removed the burlap and all the chaff and pine, and the birds were happy again.

So I guess my birds are not coffee fans! Not everyone is smile I still love the chaff aroma and I plan the use it as ground cover in areas where I don't have plants, or for azaleas. And my cats will love the burlap (I hope). If anyone in the San Fernando Valley would like to have one of my bags of chaff to try out, I have plenty! Is anyone raising worms that like coffee grounds? They might like this stuff, too.
Ann
Prayerwheel
Sunland, CA
Post #: 76
Hey Sandplum, Thanks for the feedback!
I'm in Shadow Hills and would take the bag if no one else has come forward for it.
Bummer about your babies! I have heard chix can be funny about accepting new things (they must ALL be Virgo's or Earth signs, heehee)
I put out a wonderful melange that Laura said she gives her birds and they love and items a few other peeps said their birds loved and mine took two days before they would eat it, and even then it was with great reluctance, so I guess they are just plain individuals like all the rest of us and don't want to be stereotypedbiggrin
Lemme know about the chaff, I can come get it on Sat if it's still with with you. If not, that's fine too, I'm gonna get some soon :0)
Cheers!
Ann
sandplum
sandplum
Winnetka, CA
Post #: 21
Hey Sandplum, Thanks for the feedback!
I'm in Shadow Hills and would take the bag if no one else has come forward for it.
Bummer about your babies! I have heard chix can be funny about accepting new things (they must ALL be Virgo's or Earth signs, heehee)
I put out a wonderful melange that Laura said she gives her birds and they love and items a few other peeps said their birds loved and mine took two days before they would eat it, and even then it was with great reluctance, so I guess they are just plain individuals like all the rest of us and don't want to be stereotypedbiggrin
Lemme know about the chaff, I can come get it on Sat if it's still with with you. If not, that's fine too, I'm gonna get some soon :0)
Cheers!
Ann

sure, Ann, I will save a bag for you. You can come over to my place, or I can bring it to the "happy hour" this weekend.