Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Check Out the Happy Hour and New Banner

Check Out the Happy Hour and New Banner

Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 236
Hi,

Thanks, Brandi, for throwing such a great meetup! Check out some of the pictures from the meetup as we checked out her new coop, lovely ladies, black soldier flies and composting. Ceebs made us a spectular banner. We hope you like it.

Angela P.
user 12616390
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 32
Thanks, Brandi and Roberta for organizing the meetup. I had a great time!! Brandi, you have a lovely family (feathered and non-feathered).

Looking forward to the next meetup!

Angela
Amanda G
user 12128708
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 78
Thanks again for hosting and showing us your BSF setup.... I checked my worm bin today and nope not a one.... Wonder what else I can do to attract them :)

It was great to be able to talk chicken with others who don't look at you like you're nuts .... Brandi your flock & coop are lovely! Congrats on your hens starting to lay ... It's the best thing going out and finding an egg!! Never gets old!

Cynthia
bringer_o_treats
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 241
Yep - thanks Brandi!! Had a great time. I can't wait till the next opportunity for some hen talk.
Brandi G
user 48566262
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 29
Thanks again for hosting and showing us your BSF setup.... I checked my worm bin today and nope not a one.... Wonder what else I can do to attract them :)

[/quote

I also had a great time and learned a lot from everyone I talked to. It's great to swap knowledge and stories!

About the attracting the BSF, I've heard that they are most attracted to the secretions that the larvae put off when they digest the compost, it's a black liquid pretty much. It seems like worm tea in some ways but it attracts wild BSF to lay because I assume it shows it's a good spot for their larvae. I gave a couple of people some BSF but I don't remember if I gave you any. Dumping some of the BSF and their "slime" in to the wettest area of the bin should work. The red worms seem to love the BSF compost, so they work really well in concert together.

I hope there's another meet up soon, I really enjoyed talking to everyone! I know a few of the new people wanted to talk coops. Maybe we can start a thread here to help them?
Karen
user 11697422
Glendale, CA
Post #: 44
Awesome banner, ceebs!
Arlynn L.
user 52839982
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 5
Brandi, I am sorry we didn't get to come to your Chicken Happy Hour. Both kids had fevers (and we didn't want to share) and Dan had his first West Coast meet at UCLA. The meet was awesome I hear, my husband won Gold in his class for Powerlifting! I had to miss that too b/c I was stuck at home with 2 sick kids. :( We were really hoping to come and see you guys. Looks like you had so much fun! - Arlynn
Amanda G
user 12128708
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 81

[/quote

I also had a great time and learned a lot from everyone I talked to. It's great to swap knowledge and stories!

About the attracting the BSF, I've heard that they are most attracted to the secretions that the larvae put off when they digest the compost, it's a black liquid pretty much. It seems like worm tea in some ways but it attracts wild BSF to lay because I assume it shows it's a good spot for their larvae. I gave a couple of people some BSF but I don't remember if I gave you any. Dumping some of the BSF and their "slime" in to the wettest area of the bin should work. The red worms seem to love the BSF compost, so they work really well in concert together.

I hope there's another meet up soon, I really enjoyed talking to everyone! I know a few of the new people wanted to talk coops. Maybe we can start a thread here to help them?

No I didnt get any of your larva... I'll keep my eyes out in my bin to see if I can attract any.... Any tips on what makes them show up??

Brandi G
user 48566262
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 32
Amanda

They tend to like wet and stinky! They showed up when my compost was super wet and marshy and when my red worms weren't happy with all the water and stink.

I do think mine are hiding right now. I've seen much less, hoping some adults hatch soon so I can repopulate the bin.

If you are nearby, I can give you a glob of the stuff that seems to attract them. I do think things may slow down for a bit in the winter, but I may be wrong. They can go dormant and live for some time if the temps are low.