Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › cleaning my cochin's bottom?

cleaning my cochin's bottom?

Shannon B
user 14750491
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 16
Muffet, my cochin, is so fluffy that everytime she poops some stays on her feathers. It builds up and dries. I should clean her regularly but she is very shy and of course the few times I catch her I have to soak off or trim off nearly golf ball sizes of dried hard poop. So she is even more skittish. Many of the other girls will come sit on my lap but poor Muffet is learning to keep her distance. Is there anything I can do to keep this from happening? An addition of something to her diet? Grease her bottom feathers? Anything? Help!

Here's my pretty girl:

A former member
Post #: 36
Oh, she is so beautiful. I wanted a blue cochin, but my blue turned out to be a splash. We love her all the same, but one day I will have my blue.

Noodles has the same problem. I was so tired of cleaning her bottom because it was almost a weekly event. She never minded, but I did. lol The longer that the poop stayed there, the harder it was to clean. I ended up cutting her feathers back there and the problem is solved. Nobody can tell that she has had a haircut because she is so fluffy.

btw- the feathers are easier to cut when they are wet. You can see better whats going on and you can avoind hurting them.

Dionne
Ann
Prayerwheel
Sunland, CA
Post #: 86
Ey ey ey, I have a white cochin, am I going to be in for weekly bottom baths too? Grooming is an area I have yet to delve into, but it's on "the list"
Cheers!
Ann
Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 244
The people on BYC agree with trimming. One of the responses called the poopy butt, mudflap. :(

Here's the string. Poopy butt string on BYC
Ann
Prayerwheel
Sunland, CA
Post #: 87
Thanks so much Roberta!biggrin
Leanne
user 11879008
Long Beach, CA
Post #: 116
I have had a couple of Cochins with the same issue, as well as my first Leghorn who had a super fluffy butt that needed grooming every few months. I agree that trimming is the easiest way to deal with it.

My only suggestion to make it a little less stressful of a situation for your Blue Cochin is giving her lots of her favorite treats as soon as you are done, and just for her to enjoy. Have them ready in advance before starting to trim. Maybe eventually she could associate the bad experience with the positive experience of treats and it won't freak her out as much. I know its not the same thing, but I did something similar with my cat when I started trimming her claws. She was getting her claws stuck on things easily. The first few times she struggled as I trimmed, but when she started to see she always got a handful of cat treats at the end, she learned to sit patiently, and then as soon as I put her down she starts meowing for her treats. Now it is super easy and quick and not a traumatic experience for the kitty.

Best wishes.
Shannon B
user 14750491
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 17
Thanks for the advice. I'll do some preventive trimming and excellent idea on associating it with a reward.

I have noticed she doesn't always perch at night. I'm sure that makes it worse. I'll keep an eye on her and see if I can figure out any pattern to why she occasionally sleeps on the coop floor.
Cynthia
bringer_o_treats
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 242
Try giving her the treats while holding her, first, without trimming. Wait till she's okay with being held, then do a little trimming, and build your way up. If she gets so she enjoys being held, the rest is easy. Just reward before, during and after any unpleasantness.
Ann
Prayerwheel
Sunland, CA
Post #: 93
What kind of "treats" does anyone use?
Leanne
user 11879008
Long Beach, CA
Post #: 117
My chickens' all time favorite treat is black oil sunflower seeds, but I also give them whatever is in season in my micro orchard and veggie garden. Right now their favorite seasonal fruit seems to be pomegranate seeds.