addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › chicks on the way- anyone want to adopt some?

chicks on the way- anyone want to adopt some?

kelly
user 10473500
Yucca Valley, CA
Post #: 3
I went out of town and had a sitter for a few weeks, and came back to find one of my hens sitting on a clutch of 14 eggs. A few months ago I took in a stray rooster a friend found in Eagle Rock, and while I hadn't seen any "action" going on (he's afraid of his own shadow), last night I candled some of the eggs and there's a whole bunch of embryos growing! I think they're going to be hatching in the next week, maybe two. Most of the eggs are from the Easter Egger who is sitting on them, but some are from my Barred Rock and/or Gold Laced Wyandotte. All have been great layers. The rooster - well, I think he's a big red mutt, but probably from laying stock. I've done some research on mixed breeds online, and one woman said her easter egger mutt was her favorite, laying beautiful olive green eggs.
This was poor planning on my part, I know, but I'm trying to figure out if I should take some eggs out now or try and find homes for them. I would like to keep 2 or 3 at most. And then there's the problem of more roosters...

I live out in Joshua Tree most of the time, but could bring some chicks in to LA if anyone would be interested in taking some?! I don't know how to sex them, so it would be rooster roulette!
Kristin
user 9074201
Castaic, CA
Post #: 126
I would love to take a couple and can meet you in LA?
Brandi G
user 48566262
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 34
If you are in LA and need someone to take a couple, I'm thinking we may be able to. I was hoping for a barred rock or EE. I actually wanted to add a barred rock at some point and I really like my EEs.

Anyway, if you want someone to take 2 or 3, we probably can. I'd like to take at least 2 or 3 so they can grow up together. My other ladies are about 6 months old.
Arlynn L.
user 52839982
Agoura Hills, CA
Post #: 6
You may be able to sex them at birth, the longish feathers are the ones that are roosters, but you can only tell on the first day before all of them grow out a bit. We aren't allowed to have any but we've decided to get a few hens anyway and take our chances. smile So, yes, we'd take 3 or 4. I have a friend who might be able to take more, she isn't on this list but has an established small flock. I will ask her if she wants some if you have more to give away.
kelly
user 10473500
Yucca Valley, CA
Post #: 4
Fantastic!!
I will keep you all up to date on how they progress and see who's still interested!
kelly
user 10473500
Yucca Valley, CA
Post #: 5
Fantastic!!
I will keep you all up to date on how they progress and see who's still interested!