addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Fowl pox? Any thing to do about it?

Fowl pox? Any thing to do about it?

Brandi G
user 48566262
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 35
One of my birds has a few black spots and a few more showed up today. I suspect fowl pox. From what I've read, it passes on its own when dry, within a few weeks. This has been going on a few days. At first I thought someone was pecking her, but with a few new spots,pox seems more likely. As it is viral, not sure if anything will really help.

Any suggestions on what I can do to keep the others from getting it and maybe help her out a bit? I've heard Bernadine/then neosporin. Anyone had this? Any words of wisdom ? What about Nu stock?

I'm also wondering if I should quarantine her?

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 252
Could you post a picture so we can see what's going on?
Laura B.
LauraBonilla
Group Organizer
Norco, CA
Post #: 364
hi Brandi,
sorry about fowl pox. It's highly contagious and transmitted by mosquitos for the most part. I have an outbreak too and so far looks like the dry type.

For you, I'm not sure if it's too late to isolate her since she has had the virus for a while. In my case, I'm not doing anything and it's running its course. Last year I lost one of my dearest one to the wet type, it was horrible. I decided after her, absolutely no vet treatments for mine - I think it made her more miserable and her immune system got weaker from it - The ones I treated without 'drugs' did better -

I would focus on keeping her comfortable and warm - maybe bringing her inside at nights if she becomes a bit lethargic. I would focus on her nutrition, giving her all she wants. When it progresses and if it's the 'bad' type, they loose their appetite and lots of weigh. So if she is acting normal and eating normal, I would let her indulge -
I would include ACV in their water, cayenne pepper in her mix. Lots of yogurt, cultured/fermented foods...

For her black spots, if they are just the dry type, nothing is needed. If it's the wet type, neosporin would help to control the infection.

keep us posted.
Sue T.
user 10249564
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 58
I had dry fowl pox in my flock of 20 for much of the latter part of the summer. Seemed like they all got it, and all recovered, at about the same time---took a good 8-10 weeks. What a pain in the neck (no eggs) but they all recovered, mostly as good as new, except egg production is still pretty low. I don't believe there is any treatment, except to keep them well-fed. In my experience, it clears up by itself. Keep an eye on the various scabs, though. I had one Easter Egger whose scabs spread over (not on, just over) both her eyes, and she was stumbling around miserably until I just carefully picked those scabs off and her eyes were fine underneath.
Cynthia
bringer_o_treats
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 248
Mine have all had it to some degree the last couple of summers, but it didn't affect the laying much, everyone got through it fine and none of the girls needed any particular extra treatment. Just keep an eye on them and watch out for lethargy or loss of appetite. Not much you can do, really, except support their immune system, which you're already doing by keeping them well-fed and un-stressed. Hope they make it through with ease.
Cheers-
Cynthia
Brandi G
user 48566262
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 36
I'll try to post photos, if I can figure it out, since my iPhone and iPad don't seem to mesh well with uploading. Maybe there's a trick? I can try to uploading photobucket, then linking to it.
She acted a little off maybe a week ago, standing by herself and just not being as much of a spaz if I came near. She doesn't like handling very much. She's been more normal but still has just a few spots. I noticed a little spot on a couple combs but they don't look that much like any of the photos of people on BYC or whatever. It seems much milder. She has a couple of spots on one side and just some tiny spots that cross the back of her comb to the other side. I did see a whitish spot on the EEs but it may just be a dry skin spot. It's just one spot on two hens' pea combs.

I did start fermented feed about a week ago, I thought maybe it would help her along a bit. The jury is out on the feed (they don't gobble up as much) but that may just be part of the deal, according to the FF thread on BYC. I mixed oats, lentils, lay mash, oyster shell, BOSS, barley and starter crumbles with ACV and threw in some high quality probiotics I had laying around and stuck it in my shed covered with a towel. It's pretty fermented finally and Little seems to be perking up. I'm not sure if it was time or if the FF actually did something.

I only have one bird laying and Little seems way behind the other one anyway. Not sure if this delayed her from laying or if she just isn't as strong as big ol' Butterscotch. She isn't that much bigger than Little but she is lower on the pecking order it seems. Little was even dominating her today. I guess she's feeling ok!

Someday they will all lay eggs. Someday. Unless I'm unlucky like poor Roberta, and lose the genetic lottery and have a bunch of boys masquerading as ladies to get more food! My sister called my roo transgender because he was half boy, half girl it seemed! He sorted it out and now has a harem of ladies nearby!
joAnn O
TokenGirl
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 60
Hi all,

I realize this is an old thread but I hate to start a new one for something so basic. Today I discovered that one in my flock of 8 looks to have gotten herself a nice face full of fowl pox. Seems dry & scabby so I am not overly concerned on her behalf. None of the others appear to have it - at least not yet.

However, I have a broody that I just put into the "maternity ward" (crate within the coop.) If it all went according to plan something should be popping through the shell(s) tomorrow or Wednesday.

Does anyone have experience managing dry fowl pox around baby chicks? My understanding is that the scabs remain contagious for months. I am not worried that they catch it and live I just haven't found any good reading that explains mortality rate with baby chicks.

My first instinct tells me to move the broody into the house. My lack of interest in hay & shavings in the house begs otherwise. Not to mention I am hoping she didn't cook up some birds mites while hanging out for 21 days. Something else I don't care to bring indoors.

Any thoughts or hindsight lessons appreciated.
JJ
user 80252532
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 178
If you have a garage (no cars in and out) that would be a good alternative to the house.
Or even another location around the yard, a gated area? I would avoid exposure to the babies if possible. Although she may contract fowl pox, it seems like broodies are amazingly resilient, and they are usually very clean despite sitting on a nest for 3 weeks.

As it could take awhile for the pox to run its course through your flock you may consider vaccinating the chicks. You could also vaccinate anyone who is not showing symptoms (as my vet recommended when we did so with my flock). However the type of vaccine for babies is different than the vaccine for older chickens, and there are some other time considerations that may not be practical (i.e. the age of the chicks vs when the rest of the flock has pox). It is not that fun to poke their little wing webs and it needs to be done correctly...
joAnn O
TokenGirl
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 61
Thanks JJ,

Unfortunately my basement is freakishly dark to confine any critter in there unless they really do require R&R. I opted to bring the girl with the pox in & cross my fingers that the others don't contract it. I have a mixed flock of almost 4 years old and 8 month olds.

None of the others are showing any lesions and from what it seems, my little Spitz that does have them is at the scabby stage. I figure if I can keep her scabs out of the coop & yard I have a better chance of keeping the babies (assuming they hatch) and others pox free. Then again, if her scabs are already out there I could be looking at a long run of pox if they contract it one at a time confused We shall see.

I considered the vaccine when doing my research, but yea, I don't know that sticking a baby chick is something I want to do - on several levels really.
Amanda G
user 12128708
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 499
JJ did you vaccinate your older hens? I lost my chicken Daisy last year to Fowl Pox. She showed no symptoms until the morning she was gasping for breath and died within an hour. No lesions nothing. UCDavis gave me diagnosis..... She got something caught in her throat mucus or something!!! None of my other hens got fowl pox and I was on the lookout!!! Until now that is..... I just noticed a couple black scabs on Tanks wattles.... She had seemed a little off last week resting from time to time during free play in the yard.... She's my greediest hen so she doesn't rest during foraging time ever!!!

I was wondering if I could vaccinate my other girls or if they are too old?? All are 3 and older.....

Any insight would be appreciated......