align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Anyone feed Countryside Organics brand?

Anyone feed Countryside Organics brand?

Ann
Prayerwheel
Sunland, CA
Post #: 104
This is a cut n paste from a post on another thread but I didn't know how many people would see it so I'm starting it's own thread for max exposure :0)
That Countryside Organics mix looks great to me in that it incorporates fish meal among many other good ingredients. They do not have a dealer this far west but I inquired about shipping costs and was wondering if anyone would be interested in going in on a pallet (40 bags). Calculating the shipping costs, it basically comes out to $6.75 over the listed price, this is for mixed feeds only, no fertilizers or straight grains, which still makes it comparable to what I pay for Modesto Mills organic.
If anyone has horses, they have some nice mixes that would qualify for the same pricing as well (any mixed feed qualifies as part of the 40 bags per pallet pricing).

It is not the most environmentally sound option I know, but i wanted to cast the net and see if anyone was interested. It would need to be a co-op situation as I can't store a large amount of feed and, with only 7 birds, my demand for large amounts of feed is greatly reduced (although I do have horses and would love to get them some organic feed as well!)

Lemmme know what you all think!
Cheers!
Ann
A former member
Post #: 136
I ordered a couple time through the mail, live in Manhattan Beach, and found them a very nice bunch to deal with. I just found my birds 'billed' through it a lot and wasted too much, as it is not a pelleted feed. So, I switched over to Modesto's pelleted layer feed, which I drive to Malibu to buy
Ann
Prayerwheel
Sunland, CA
Post #: 108
Thanks Susan,
Did you know that Birdman Pet Store in Highland Park sells the Modesto Mills?
A former member
Post #: 137
nope, didn't!! I am in Manhattan Beach, so wonder if that is closer. Would you know?
Ann
Prayerwheel
Sunland, CA
Post #: 112
Hmmm, From where you are I'm not sure, but here's the address so you can do a Google Map search and compare :0)
5926 North Figueroa Street, Los Angeles, CA 90042
Phone: (323) 344-0696
Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 259
Peewee lives just a few streets down from Birdman's. I've been going there to get feed when I can't get it from Azure farms since I see Peewee every week. It would be great if we could support his small shop. Susan or others in the south bay, I can pick up some of the layer pellets or grower crumble if people would like me to. No reason for all of us to drive up there.
Ann
Prayerwheel
Sunland, CA
Post #: 115
YES, I go to Birdman, (heading down there today) preferring to support local. Although I would like to try the Countryside Organics, it looks terrific! Don't want to ship just one bag though and there doesn't seem to be any interest from anyone about going in on a pallet.Azure Standard doesn't even carry Modesto (at least it's not listed on their site), they carry something called Rogue.
Sven
user 28416502
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 21
Talking about Birdman. Has anyone notice weevils inside their Modesto Milling bags? I got some on the last order but I think I was able to contain them with some DE dusting.
Ann
Prayerwheel
Sunland, CA
Post #: 118
Yes Sven! and I actually asked him about this yesterday. He said because it's organic they don't have a way to control them. I figured the chix would like to eat them anyway :0)
I think it's a small consideration for feeding organiclove struck
Cheers!
A
Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 263
hmmm, i hadn't noticed weevils. I keep the bags in the coop and there were some chickens trying to get into the bags, i wonder if they we trying to get to the weevils. I'll take a closer look. I've been pretty lucky with my grains except for bran used for the meal worms which can get mites if you don't cold or heat treat first before using. Thanks for pointing that out so i can be aware.

I wonder how long people keep their feed or how long it should be kept. The grains for sprouting seem to last 2-4 weeks and i get extra feed so that i can make it 2-3 months without restocking. I know of a coop in LA where people have been disappointed with the amount of bugs not because of the bugs but that they eat the grains and then there is less nutritional value for the chickens or people depending on the purpose.