addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Adopt a chicken, turkey or other animal from Farm Sanctuary in Acton (~50min

Adopt a chicken, turkey or other animal from Farm Sanctuary in Acton (~50min from LA)

A former member
Post #: 309
Adoption has been mention here before, and since Farm Sanctuary adopts in and adopts out farm animals, it is worth a mention.

Address: 5200 Escondido Canyon Road, Acton, CA 93510
Phone: (661) 269-5404
eMail: shelter [at] farmsanctuary.org
Click for: FAQ | Adoption Form | Contact | Directions
Price: Chickens $10, turkeys $20.... (Are turkeys legal?)

You may want to call ahead or email for availability. They have a phone number for adoptions but it is a NY area code: (607) 583-2225 ext. 223. I would try calling the 661 instead.

Remember the story from Turlock, CA where 50k hens were abandoned? It was mentioned in prior posts that Animal Place was holding the hens, and a few members adopted some of them. The rescue was a joint effort by Farm Sanctuary, Animal Place and Harvest Home, see this link.

There is another story out of NY, but just 142 hens, see this link.

They also have a story about backyard flocks, giving the example of the Red Star and their egg-related ailments issues. I will post it on another thread but here it is in this link.

(if anyone wonders, the reason I point to a link is that, depending on browser, meetup site default formatting doesn't always make the link obvious and it is easy to miss.)