Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Feed Handling and Storage

Feed Handling and Storage

sandplum
sandplum
Winnetka, CA
Post #: 24
Reading through the recent thread about ordering a pallet of feed, I couldn't help wondering how members of this community deal with buying and storing food for their chickens.

I find it very difficult to move a 50 pound bag, and I cannot pick it up at all. When I bought my first bag, the worker at the feed store loaded it into my car, but I didn't know what to do with it when I got home! Now I have a system where I transfer the contents of the bag to several 6-gallon food-grade buckets with spinning Gamma lids. And the buckets are starting to take over my kitchen.

So, tell me, ladies... how are you moving so many bags around? How do you store it all? And where do you keep it?
Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 266
I lift the darn things and i keep one in the coop and fill 30gallon trash cans with the rest. Metal trash cans are essential and you can store it outside. if i carry several bags i have a cart and dolly that are helpful. I'm building a shed because the trash can look isn't pretty. Lifting with your legs is important but opening and taking smaller amounts is smart. The sprouting grains have taken over our house so i can't wait for the shed to be finished. I used to stack.the bags in my garage but now i go through the bags too quickly.
Ann
Prayerwheel
Sunland, CA
Post #: 134
I use 20 Gal galvanized trash cans, the bags fit just perfectly in them (I used to pour the food out of the bag, which makes it fit better but I don't anymore. I don't move them once I get the feed in them but I am pretty strong and carry them by myself (they ARE heavier than coffee chaff, lol).
I bought a small plastic storage thing (not hideous looking BTW) at Osh that just holds 3 cans for a little extra weather protection.
For my DE I have a plastic trash can that has a handle & wheels that I got at HD or Lowes, it has a tight fitting lid. For some reason that DE is tougher to manage for me, so I wanted to be able to wheel it around where I needed it.

The galvanized cans are indispensable for me!
Cheers!
A
A former member
Post #: 138
I can carry the 50 lb still---weighs less than the son I used to haul around! But galvanized cans are almost essential for any feedstuffs, as rats and mice will chew through anything else. OSH seems to have a good variety of the smaller size cans and lids.
Cynthia
bringer_o_treats
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 250
I agree about galvanized - it allows me to store 2 or 3 bags of feed at a time. But I also use the gamma lid plastic buckets because they're easy to carry. So I put enough feed in the plastic bucket to carry to the coop for filling feeders, or to mix and store treats and scratch, but the bulk stays in the metal cans. We'll be building a proper storage shed onto our garage soon to house the bins, tools and other yard stuff, but so far the galvanized cans have kept everything safe and dry during the last few rains.
I'm happy to report I can still lift and pour a 50 pound bag of feed - barely - but I try to get my BF to do it whenever possible. No need to be silly about it. smile