Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Do 3 month olds still need a heat lamp?

Do 3 month olds still need a heat lamp?

Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 270
I have finally finished raising the little chicks so they can go outside as of last week. One now back inside due to crowing. But when I put them outside they chirped like crazy at night so i gave them a heat lamp which some are sticking very close to but not sitting directly underneath it.

Do they just need time to grow some more feathers now that they are "exposed to the elements"? They are frizzles, silkies and rhode island reds. I'm actually really surprised that the RIR are still sitting next to the lamp at night.
Amanda G
user 12128708
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 87
At 3 months they should not need the heat lamp.... They should have been off it at 6 weeks.... Were they in complete darkness at night in the house??? If not this will explain the chirping. They are scared and not used to the darkness. I found when raising chicks when I took the heat lamp away there would be chirping at night but they would eventually settle down. The darkness chirping will stop after a few days. They might also need to learn to snuggle as if they've been under a lamp they don't need to get as close????
Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 272
OOo i like the idea of the light. It was pretty dark inside, I'll be home when it gets dark tonight and I'll see what happens with it off. Thanks!