Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Gadds 2 more Roosters in Silver Lake

Gadds 2 more Roosters in Silver Lake

Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 282
The Michelterona Elementary School was given two roosters that they can't keep. They are available for adoption. I believe no cost. They will be available this Sat at 10am. Look for the sat meetup for location.

Nancy
user 13913292
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 54
I am going to Silver Lake today. Not sure about the weekend yet. Do you know the personalities of these guys? I had to take care of a few roos because they were trying to dominate me and a couple were drawing blood. I will only go so far with mean roos. There are too many nice ones out there to put up with it. If these 2 guys are NICE, I am interested. Handled by kids I hope.

Thanks,

Nancy
Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 283
You can by and see them. The chicken coop is on Sunset Blvd at Michelterona and you can see what they are like. If there is someone in the garden they can let you in. I'll send you Frances email via email so you can make contact. I don't have a phone number. They seem like nice roosters from the picture. :)

Here is what Frances wrote: I forgot to include it.
We have adopted two young roosters from a family in the neighborhood who had the chicks as pets but have now grown to big to keep. I've attached a picture. They are about 3 months old and very sweet. They are still pretty young so we have been able to give the a home this week but we can't keep them. As you know, roosters, particularly two, is not the best idea for our situation. Could you post to your chicken group to see if anyone is interested in adopting them?
Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 284
Do you know the personalities of these guys? I had to take care of a few roos because they were trying to dominate me and a couple were drawing blood. I will only go so far with mean roos.

I've had a roo that wasn't friendly but I'm not sure if I could have done better. Never seen blood though. I make sure all the roos are held everyday and firmly even if at first they don't want to be held. Eventually they will calm down. I think the best advice I read, was that a rooster will always flap their wings if they feel uncomfortable and not secure. If you hold them firmly with their feet dangling then they know you are in charge and are safe at the same time. But I must admit that I have raised a few whimpy roosters who get bossed around by the ladies. Sleepy and Frosty get picked on sometimes and they just take it from the older hens even if they are bigger. No one bosses around PeeWee, even a 60lb dog.