addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Bedding --- hay vs. straw

Bedding --- hay vs. straw

Monette M.
mdmranch
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 1
Hello, I am new to this Group but I wanted to just agree with Lyssa, I have had horses for years now and one thing I learned is that Wet Alfalfa can create Botulism... which is definitely toxic to the horses and probably many other animals. And it is horrible to smell or try to get rid of. When my gelding was 8 months old he dragged all of his feed outside of the stall into his in-n-out stall ... WHAT A MESS!!!! I am excited to try some of the wonderful ideas I have heard here. We have not had the chickens for very long and I had no idea how many enthusists there are in the area. Makes sense to me. I love our hens (and pullets). Sometimes a tragic experience can bring you to an educational group like this. Thanks everyone.
A former member
Post #: 385
We have not had the chickens for very long and I had no idea how many enthusists there are in the area.

Shhh most are in hiding.

Praxxus55712 on YouTube uses leaves shredded with a lawn mower, 8" deep.

Chillin with the Chickens 'youtube.com/watch?v=2qzPNDfi7Os&t=2m18s­

Another is cross-cut paper shredding. 'youtube.com/watch?v=xswR5bbSEP0&t=5m20s­