Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Planning to Introduce New Chick to Rescue Leghorns (beaks cut)

Planning to Introduce New Chick to Rescue Leghorns (beaks cut)

Barbara H.
user 25584672
Monrovia, CA
Post #: 13
Hi Mentors!

I have two of the Turlock Leghorns, since last September. They are doing well and seem happy, eating worms, laying eggs, exploring the yard and even eating out of my hand. I want to increase my flock of two, but my girls have shaved beaks from their battery cage days. I would like more eggs and friendly new girl(s). I'm thinking of only getting one chick around 5 months. I read here awhile back that two introduced chicks started picking on the older girls and I'm worried about that, given their lack of beaks. Any suggestions of breeds or whether I should get one or two and how to introduce would be good. (I've read the books). I was thinking Plymouth Rock, New Hampshire Red or Easter Eggers, but I'm wondering if it would work to get a very docile girl or girls like Barnvelders or Welsummers. Thanks!
Laura B.
LauraBonilla
Group Organizer
Norco, CA
Post #: 424
hi Barbara,
If it was me, I would introduce two and I would find very docile breeds and I would MAKE sure they are not bigger in size than your leghorns - getting them at 6 months you could get them fully grown so that you know their real size... I understand the issue with the beaks cut - I tried to put a Black Star with my 6 leghorns and my leghorns totally defended their pecking order BUT the Black Star quickly overcame them because of size and beak and strength... so I quickly removed her and let her be with another flock (my poor roster really wanted her, they were mates before but I couldn't do it).

hope this helps and I'm sure others will include lots of other suggestions --- ultimately go with your gut feeling, and I'm sure you will do just fine - look at how wonderful you've done with those girls!!! :)

ps, no matter what, there will be a period of adjustment where nobody is going to be happy... that is ok, they will adjust and become friendly, even if it takes time - so just arm yourself with patience :)
Elaine J.
ElaineJesmer
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 140
Hi, Barbara ...

I had two sister Black Australorps, and wanted to add another one. Australorps are very docile, which is one of the reasons I wanted them, in the first place. I added a pullet, not fully grown. The two girls were not happy, chased her around the small enclosure, so I put a dog fence between them, although it was in the same enclosure, so they were literally next to each other and could see each other, but couldn't reach each other. I waited until the baby was fully grown, then took down the fence. It was a perfect strategy. Not only was the newbie immediately accepted, she turned out to be bigger than the others. Maybe they took a look at her and decided not to pick a fight. But they are a docile breed, and by the time Bella joined Bonnie Victoria and Linda, they knew her. She laid her first egg Christmas Day. I'm crazy about her, but I don't let the other two see that she's my favorite.

Btw, everyone warned me there would be fights, but the way I did this, there wasn't even a chase, once I got them together. Bella came from Dare 2 Dream Farms. They delivered her to me at my house, so I knew she was healthy and not bringing diseases into the enclosure. It cost more than if I had adopted locally, but it was definitely worth it. Hope this helps...
A former member
Post #: 165
Hi, I took 2 of the Turlock hens also, and kept them in quarantine for 3 weeks. When I put them in with my other 9 hens---a mix of banties, RIR, Ancona, Barred Rock, Buff Orpington---they did fine!! They have a large enough space to roam and are very much interested in exploring the larger garden whenever they can get the chance. But they would tear up the vegetable beds if I let them dig, so they stay in their big run and seem to have found their place in the pecking order around the middle of the heirarchy.
Elaine J.
ElaineJesmer
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 141
I just wanted to add that I think the size of an enclosure makes a big difference. If you have a big yard, it's probably easier than if you have a very small enclosure, like mine. I really can't have more than 3 chickens, and be sure they are all comfortable and have enough space.
Barbara H.
user 25584672
Monrovia, CA
Post #: 14
Thanks much for the great advice. I have double lot, but an enclosure for about six. The only issue would be at night. I'm assuming that the only thing they fight with are their beaks.
Barbara H.
user 25584672
Monrovia, CA
Post #: 21
Just wanted to let you know, that thanks to all of the great advice, the two new Easter Egger pullets from Dare2Dream Farms (and what a great place that is), have integrated nicely. They were terrified of the larger dominant leghorn, and the Leghorn pecked them a few times, but otherwise it is going well after a week. I put the pullets in the run/coop area where they needed to acclimate anyway and let the Leghorns free range. At night right after sunset, I got the Leghorns who were out cold and put them on the roost in the coop with the pullets. In the morning, I let the Leghorns out to free range again (and fed and watered) leaving the pullets again locked in the coop/run. After about three days, started letting them all out together in the morning but put the pullets in the coop well before nightfall. Last night I went out before sunset to make sure the pullets got in okay. All five had gone in the coop and were roosting together. Thank you all, especially Laura who has been here for me through all my novice tribulations.
Laura B.
LauraBonilla
Group Organizer
Norco, CA
Post #: 430
You are more than welcome... I'm glad it worked out so nicely for you - obviously you got a system that worked perfectly for you... I love this forum, everyone is so amazing in sharing ideas and experiences... I have and continued to learn so much!
Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 425
Thanks for the wonderful update. So glad things are going well. If you have pictures i can post your story on the blog to help people know what can work. :) roberta