Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Extra Great Rooster

Extra Great Rooster

Sharon H.
sharrima
Sierra Madre, CA
Post #: 5
I have two beautiful roosters, but only 6 hens. The roosters are starting to fight each other, and I have separated them so that will not happen, but I need to give one of them away to a good home. When I just had one rooster and 6 hens he was great, he took care of them and made sure they all went in the coop at night. One day a hawk was flying overhead and he ushered them all under a bush to keep them safe. I think the hens lay more eggs when there is a rooster close by too. So if you would like one of them I will give one up; they are both beautiful and healthy.
You can see them at this link: Roosters

Give me a call: Sharon 818 640-5310
Nancy
user 13913292
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 90
Not sure if I am much help but it is obvious that you are allowed roos. Just that they are not getting along. I have way more roosters than is normal but I live on Ag/horse property. I just let the roos duke it out and or work it out. As long as I do not see blood, I let it go. So far it has been fine. Just a thought. The ratio is very lopsided over here too.

Nancy

A former member
Post #: 173
My friend, Susan, who used to live in Downey (she moved to Nevada) on a typical suburban 50X110 ft lot had 6 roos and about 30 hens. The roos were all types, banties to Standards, and with the backyard as their run, they established a hierarchy that suited all of them. She used to put out the chicken blog Jack's Henhouse, which had a lot of information on roo psychological characteristics and methods for dealing with social issues. I would guess she might say your ratio of hens to roos is a little tight, and with what looks like a Brahma roo (pretty big) they could do better with a few more hens. You also do not mention how much room they have to get away from each other and establish some territory.
Sharon H.
sharrima
Sierra Madre, CA
Post #: 6
We have a half acre, but only about 1/4 acre is available to the chickens. Right now we have separated the Brahama roo (who was getting beaten up by the red, younger roo). We decided once we saw blood that we did not want to let them continue to work it out; the red does not seem satisfied to just win, he continues to chase the Brahma all over the yard. We are considering giving one of the roos to a chicken/rooster rescue place nearby, but they charge $40 to take the roos, since they are harder to find homes for. Thanks everyone for your input; I am still open to more suggestions!
A former member
Post #: 176
It would appear you just have too few hens for two roosters. They don't have the ability to make their own "harem" and establish territory. You could get a few more hens and separate the roos with their harems for awhile and then blend everyone back in, as they definitely have enough space
Pete K.
user 54883572
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 18
That's too bad. Good luck rehoming, which is what I would also do in your situation. You might try the feed store in San Dimas. They took a rooster for me, I was grateful. Hopefully he wasn't rehomed onto a dinner plate. Whether they're wiling to take yours may depend on how many they have.

Roosters and the need for a very lopsided ratio are the dark side of having chickens. I suspect it was also dark in the Indonesian jungles back in the day. Dark ecology.
Laura B.
FarmerLaura
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 93
If y ou have a 1/4 of an acre, what about setting up a separate run for the Brahma, and give him a few hens?
Sharon H.
sharrima
Sierra Madre, CA
Post #: 7
Well after studying the situation for awhile it seemed clear that the two roosters have very different personalities. Jay (the red) is just not willing to be satisfied to be number one, he wants to be the only rooster. I decided I liked Marty's personality better, he is gentle enough to be around children, yet aggressive enough to protect the hens. So I found a new home for Jay. Harmony is restored; no more fighting. And the hens have laid three eggs per day since Jay has been gone, instead of just one or none per day(all six hens combined). Raising chickens is an an interesting experience. I like it!
Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 418
So true about roosters wanting to be the only one. Our PeeWee goes around looking for bugs until he hears the rooster down the street that i don't hear until i hear PeeWee crowing back at them. Maybe they are just acknowledging each other's presence but he's crow a bit till the other stops.
A former member
Post #: 179
I have noticed that my roo, Skippy, who is normally very quiet outside his crate, will crow if we are shouting INSIDE the house. Even though he is 50 ft away in the hen run outside, he is sensitive to disturbances apparently, and this sets him off