Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Winter slow down on egg production?

Winter slow down on egg production?

Brandi G
user 48566262
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 87
Amanda,

Yeah, I was surprised by the slow down as well. As I mentioned, I just didn't want it to be my fault because of feed changes or something. I've definitely been tinkering with the food. I'm yet to find one that truly makes me happy. I'm not sure about the Modesto Mills. They eat it, but I do mix it with the stuff they have been eating for a number of months. Have any success with anything? Don't you use the Azure?

I do have two girls not laying but one started squatting in the past week or so. Yay!! I'm really hoping sometime soon, they were born in June. Hearing yours were born in April gives me hope! I also hope I'm not causing this stoppage in laying. I am wondering if I actually have the dreaded secret nest...
Brandi G
user 48566262
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 91
New egg! The day before yesterday, Pecky laid an egg! It's a pretty light colored olive green. So I have 3 birds actively laying eggs. One Marans, Butterscotch, the first to start laying has stopped for a few weeks. Priscilla, one of EEs lays blue eggs. Little, a Marans, lays the dark brown, these two hens are kind of laying consistently, but not completely. I have noticed that since it's gotten really cold they lay less though. Claire, my pretty brown EE is holding out. She still isn't laying but I'm predicting a dark olive egg based on what I think her genes are. We'll see.

About the predators- I did find out one thing yesterday. We have a cat that comes in the yard. I chased it away, I wonder if this caused the slow down? Has anyone had a cat try to attack a full grown hen??? I feel like my 5 girls maybe able to take a cat, maybe I'm wrong!!!

I'm still baffled that some birds are affected by either feed or stress, but not others. Hmmmm.
Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 426
Our girls are ramping up as of last week too. Even our game hens are laying every day and letting everyone know!

I've had chickens injured that still lay. THeir bodies go through so much. Wonder if there is birth control for chickens to slow them down.
Brandi G
user 48566262
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 92
I'd post a photo but it seems nearly impossible. They are pretty! Something about the blue, green and dark brown.

I'd post one if someone wants me to and gives me a hint on how to do it.
Nancy
user 13913292
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 93
Hi Brandi, I have seen a Calico Cat that hangs out at my neighbor's and stalks the sparrows. My chickens do not even notice her. I have not had any problems. I do not think that a house cat can take on my fat *** hens.

My view on laying hens, some are over achievers and well some are lazy. My EE's took forever to start to lay, way over the usual 5 months and the first to stop laying. The hatchery stock breeds for egg production so you will get more eggs but those come at a price w/ health. I bought Cream Legbars and Rhodebars in August and I have yet to see an egg. I am impatiently waiting.

Nancy
Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 427
I'd post a photo but it seems nearly impossible. They are pretty! Something about the blue, green and dark brown.

I'd post one if someone wants me to and gives me a hint on how to do it.

Click the Photos button above and add to an existing photo. THat's the easiest way. Then when you reply in this thread, click the photo button and you can choose the folder that you put the folder in and you'll find it. I would love to post the story to the blog so you can also email me the picture if you are having trouble and I'll post it here and there.
david
user 4148344
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 101
I wouldn't trust a cat...we have one that visits regularly...I chase it off....but she always returns....We have a wild bird feeder. Any ideas on how to scare the ferals away?
Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 429
there is the cat scarecrow that squirts water. Two 60lb dogs work well for our backyard.
Brandi G
user 48566262
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 93
Roberta, I guess I'm the scarecrow...
Nancy, I actually call my hen Butterscotch fat a** because she's such a heifer! She could probably take a cat, you're right! I do chase the cat away when I see it, but we did have an incident a few months ago where the cat was trapped in the backyard with me and a broom. I didn't see the cat for months after that one. It's was pretty funny.

I put up some photos in the egg difference album. There's one of the 3 different egg colors. It took a while to get them, but it was worth the wait. Hopefully they'll remain healthy for a long, long time.

Amanda G
user 12128708
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 119
Oh WOW your eggs are gorgeous!!! Congrats on the new layer! I really wanted an Olive layer but decided to get rid of all of the ones I hatched! I was just over run with chickens!!

I do use Azure .... I tried out the new brand Peck & Scratch and didn't notice a difference in production when I switched and have switched back to cascade although this batch seems to be a finer milled product.... hmmm I really liked the Cascade as I could see the lentil bits etc etc but now it looks like dust confused I do Ferment all of my feed so maybe that is the reason that I didn't see a slow down?? I also add some whole grains to my FF .....

I am waiting for 1 silkie to start laying.... She is my last hold out and she was born in May I think!!!