Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › metal feed cans

metal feed cans

Pete K.
user 54883572
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 20
Does anyone have thoughts on the ideal solution for small-mammal-and-rain-resistant feed storage?

I'm thinking 30 gallon galvanized metal garbage cans, should be able to store two 50# bags of feed. Is there a downside?

Thanks.
Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 411
I'm using the 5 gallon for small amounts of feed in a courtyard where we keep 3 chickens.

I use a billion of the 30gallon galvanized that you can find at home depot. I think they fit 2.5 50lb bags almost 3. I just got more feed yesterday and have empty ones so i can check tonight. They make a tiny bit of noise when opening up in the am so i open and close the lids slowly to prevent early am noise. I put our dog food in there too. The really thick rubber trashcans seem to be ok for our feed but i've had one broken into where our dogs aren't. I bet if you have dogs running around, it doesn't matter what they are in because our dogs catch everything.

I use old laundry detergent bottles with the bottoms cutoff for the scoops but i have to admit that i found some big scoops at the dollar store that are just great for scooping grains. I heart them but kick myself for buying them...

Brandi had a cute yellow one but i can seem to find them so i've considered spray painting them to add to the overall feel that chickens are fun and crazy to have in the backyard.

I've put our DE and oyster shell in them but since these are in small bags, it doesn't seem to work as well to just dump them in and the DE is so messy, i stuck the whole bag in just so things looked a little more similiar rather than random bags hanging around in the backyard.

Don't try to hold water in them because they aren't sealed tight so i bet if you have them in an area that is muddy or flooded, water could get in from the bottom but do fine in the rain. We tried to store rain water in them and in a few days the water was gone. :(
Pete K.
user 54883572
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 21
I think these will work fine. Good to know they hold almost three bags. No dog here, but some mighty determined squirrels.

As you all know it's important to keep feeds dry. The molds that can grow make dust that isn't good to breathe. Causes something called "farmer's lung."

If necessary I'll put the feed cans up on bricks. It's a nice idea to reuse plastic buckets from restaurants etc. but they get chewed up by the squirrels.
Brandi G
user 48566262
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 89
Roberta,

My yellow can is from ikea. It wasn't super cheap but it works well. No rain gets in, nor rodents. They will fit one 50# bag plus a wee but more. I like the size of them but I think they are like 30 or 40 bucks. May be cheaper to get the bigger ones and just paint them!

I do like that they are smaller, I can actual carry it around, as needed. I think they are just in white now, no more yellow. I bought it more than 6 or 7 years ago.
Cynthia
bringer_o_treats
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 274
Hey Pete -
The only downside to the 30 gallon size would be, if you ever need to move one, it will be really heavy. I use the smaller ones so I can put one bag of feed in each, and I can move one if needed. So far they've been rodent- and rain-proof - we had to leave them outdoors all winter and the feed inside is fine.
I've found too many rat-chewed spots on my plastic containers to trust anything but metal for food anymore.

-Cynthia
A former member
Post #: 178
I found the largest selection of sizes of galvanized metal cans at Orchard Supply Hardware--OSH. For rabbit pellets, I use the 20 gal size. I found EVERYTHING must be in cans, we have lots of rats around the beach and they quickly chewed through plastic
Nancy
user 13913292
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 92
Luckily, the mice here at the new place have not decided to gnaw on plastic. I have been using 5 gallon soy sauce buckets that were reclaimed at restaurants. My cousins place of business is next door to a wholesale restaurant supplier. They work great for me because I can move them around. I need alot since I am fermenting feed. I also use the smaller Brute trashcans on the dolly so I can move the heavy feed around and it is easier to get to the bottom.

I have the metal trashcans out in the coop and my complaint is that they are getting rusted and it is difficult with my bad back to scoop to the bottom. Not sure of the size but they sell them at Osh and Ace and they fit one 50lb bag of feed. Those are perfect for me. But they do not make things like they use too and they are rusting. I got some HUGE metal cans from an apartment that my family use to own and those must be at least 20 + years old and they are still great but those are the ones that are hard on my back. I have seen the old ones at The Habitat for Humanity store. I may need to paint/ spray paint them.

Nancy