addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › dried poop in vent

dried poop in vent

Shannon B
user 14750491
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 31
I have a 10 month old maran that is usually the leader of the flock but she had been hanging back and not acting her usual self for the last few days. The only thing I can see that is wrong is that she had dried poop in her vent. It is like cement and stuck to the inner tissue about 1/2 - 3/4 " from opening inward. It isn't blocking. She is still pooping but possibly straining a little or it is just the sensation that not everything has vacated and she keeps squeezing. Hope that description makes sense. Yesterday I tried soaking for a bit and putting olive oil on it. She is acting more herself today but I can't get it all off/out and the tissue looks a little inflamed right at edge. It is hard to tell exactly if it is all poop or maybe there is a small surface growth that is yellowish/brown and covered in poop??? Not sure exactly what I am seeing.

What more can I do or should I just continue washing and oiling for a few days? Is this a possible symptom of a larger problem that I should look out for?

Thanks always for any help,
Shannon
Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 413
Hopefully someone else knows what's happening. You can also post on the BYC forum. You can get an answer really fast on that feed.
A former member
Post #: 370
It can be for different reasons, but I would first give her a warm (to the touch) bath so you can get a better view.

It doesn't need to be a full bath, it can be a small bucket with the tail tilted down. The chicken can get scared and try to jump, so either a full bath where it can't get out or a small bath where it is not spooked.

She could drown, so I wouldn't leave her unattended. Even if already used to baths it helps to feed treats during this time to make her calm down. I gave a few shelled sunflower seeds every minute or so because her heart was pumping and she wanted out, and this calmed her down.

After 10-20 minutes, while in the water try to wash it off. It should come off and you will get a better view.

Once done, quick-dry with a towel. If it is mid-day and warm/sunny outside she will dry the rest; otherwise, use a blow dryer.

Possible reasons for watery poop / diarrhea: (1) drinking more water than food (hot weather, food mix, etc), (2) illness such as respiratory, infection, food poisoning, etc (3) bloated abdomen--due to egg-bound, cancer, etc--pressing on intestine.
A former member
Post #: 20
FYI: I'm a newbie, but one of my girl's has the same problem. I was told by Dare2Dream chicken delivery wonderful person that it could be worms.