Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Ginormous egg yesterday

Ginormous egg yesterday

Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 423
Another blog posting about a ginormous egg one of our hens layed yesterday.

http://chickenenthusi...­

Amanda G
user 12128708
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 118
Did you crack it yet??? Curious to know whats inside?? 2-3 yolks??? egg in egg??? Come on Roberta CRACK IT OPEN!!!! tongue
Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 424
that the second part of the story! Just keep checking in :) I almost ordered one of those special egg circular cutting thing. I really want to save the shell but if i blow it out then i won't know exactly what was inside. Not sure what to do yet.
Laura B.
FarmerLaura
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 94
Have you tried candling it? If it is like the egg within an egg, then you will definitely see a black interior.

If you are very careful, you can gently cut an opening in the side of the egg so that you can remove the contents, and then just display the egg with the uncut side facing forward. The easiest way to make the cut is to gently use a Dremel with a small fine grinding point, but if you do not have that, cuticle scissors can be used to gently break a hole, then insert the lower blade of the scissors into the opening and carefully snip a cut. If the shell is weak you may wind up with a lot of cracking, but with sturdy shells it will generally cut pretty well.