Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Egg issues-somewhat graphic photos

Egg issues-somewhat graphic photos

Joyce Y.
user 55266182
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 18
My Blue Ameracauna, 37 weeks old now has just started to lay. It all started 3 weeks ago I found her laying down outside by herself very weak. I brought her inside my house in a dog crate to watch her. The next morning I took her to Dr. Rosskopf, avian vet in Hawthorne per my sisters advice (she has an African Grey parrot she has been taking to him for 15+ years). Rosskopf took one look at her and advised I put her down humanely. He said "she has the plague and it is not curable."

I, of course, very attached to my pretty girl declined and asked for antibiotics and blood work. I took her home and did baytril 1cc twice a day for 5 days and kept her in the dog crate in my kitchen. *Olivia loved being inside the house getting spoiled. She perked up after the next day and seemed to make a full recovery. The blood work came back and showed "dark staining lymphos-Mareks of something".

She joined her "frenemies" (they picked at her since she had been inside the house with me) and joined the flock again. Then 6 days after she rejoined the flock, I found two soft shelled eggs, light blue on the coop floor under the roost.

Then two days later on February 13th I found this! Yay!

Then yesterday, 16th, she was moving slowly and seemed lethargic. I immediately thought I did not keep her on baytril long enough so I gave her another 1cc in the late afternoon. She did not perk up and was now sleeping eyes closed by herself standing up. I brought back into the house in the dog crate and literally seconds later she started to strain(best word I can find to describe her action) and looked between her feet since she was still standing and found this!

It looked soft shelled when it was in the crate and dark inside but I picked it up with my hands and found it was a fully formed egg with a membrane around it.

I went straight to my computer and started researching what this membrane thing was and what does it all mean? About 30 minutes of research, I went back into the kitchen and found another object!

I picked this one up and put it on a paper towel and it's an oblong hard blue/green shell and their was yellow yolk on the outside and clear gel consistency on the inside!

This morning she was honking to let me know she wanted out and was feeling better so I put her back outside and she is acting normally.

My 5 girls free range in my backyard and are on lay crumbles, BOSS, DE sprinkled in their feed. They have ACV and crushed garlic in their water. I feed them cottage cheese and yogurt with oatmeal for breakfast and they love it. Has anyone experienced this before and what was the outcome? Thank you in advance for any input...I appreciate all the knowledgeable members on this board!

Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 441
Oh gosh. How strange. I hope someone can help you figure it out. ..... and she feels better soon.
Cynthia
bringer_o_treats
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 282
A lot of pullets have weird laying issues when they first start making eggs, and if she was stressed due to illness that might have made things harder for her. If she continues to lay soft-shelled or odd eggs, there may be something wrong with her egg-laying innards . . . but with any luck these are just her body trying to get the cycle down, and you may start seeing more "normal" eggs soon. Keep us posted . . .
A former member
Post #: 182
Joyce---what a fine documentation of the events!! Thanks a lot. This is the bane of the female bird---the whole egg laying operation is really complex and many parts must come together at just the right time. It is a miracle these issues don't happen more often. Too bad with Rosskoff---I know him, as I live in the So Bay too, and a lot of people have used him. But I think he is jaded by his years of being vet to birds, and only the "expensive" parrots are worthwhile to him. Chickens are just not worth the trouble to even some avian vets. I use Teresa Micco at Pt Vicente animal hosp. and she is wonderful, going way beyond the pale to help and be available. Currently, we are managing my Pekin duck, TicTic's, internal egg laying issue with Baytril and a hormone implant soon to shut down the ovary. She is hanging in there, but is hauling around quite a enlarged abdomen, as the protein of the deposited eggs draws fluids into the area causing distension. Last night it appears she passed a quantity of yellow yolk material, so I am hopeful that will continue. The implant is very much a helpful remedy. I also have lost 2 chickens to egg yolk peritonitis, but they passed VERY fast. The duck is persisting much better with issues. I have a parakeet with a ovarian tumor that we are also managing with supportive care. ARGHHHH! to be a female!
Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 445
Susan, you mentioned the hormone implant. Is that just an injection. I was wondering if it would be possible to do hormone therapy, like birth control on and off during the summer to prolong their lives if it's the egg laying that is the issue. If i could have hens that could live 20 years rather than 5, life would be so much better. We have little rats that live only about 2 years and it's crushing to lose one so anything that would help would be great!!
Joyce Y.
user 55266182
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 19
Thanks for your responses. I am hoping Olivia is just experiencing these oddities since she is new to laying and it will not result in anything more than "growing pains". If she does not mature and lay eggs normally I would like to learn more about the hormone implant. Rosskopf did mention it to me when I brought her in but in the future I will go to Pt. Vincent in Palos Verdes. wink

I do have a update for today as Olivia laid a "wind egg" outside of their fenced off area under some ferns.

This egg was very soft and filled with clear fluid and no yolk at all. I will keep you posted....
A former member
Post #: 376
It is normal for very young and > few years old to lay abnormal eggs every once in awhile. It is not normal to lay such eggs consecutively.

From the pics, what is coming out are different stages of the egg production, and it some times skips the yellow. The spots inside the egg are called meat spots (part of oviduct), if you want a leg up on the search (see previous mention: 'http://www.meetup.com/Los-Angeles-Urban-Chicken-Enthusiasts/messages/boards/thread/28049442/0#87943632­).
A former member
Post #: 183
Roberta---there are injections that can be done, but the advantage of the implant (similar to Norplant for humans) is the need for fewer visits to the doctor. It is inserted just under the skin like Norplant. As to your other idea about prolonging life---I think the factors are more complicated than just the reproductive hormones. The rats are genetically programmed to not live long and various organ and tissue degenerative processes begin the downward slide according to many feedback loops triggered by all sorts of chemical reactions in the body.
At least, that is how I understand aging processes from the reading I have done!
Joyce Y.
user 55266182
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 20
Hi everyone,

So today I was outside doing my weekly deep cleaning and saw Olivia had something hanging out of her. I was able to capture the entire incident on video http://youtu.be/GvZ4n...­ and have posted it to Youtube. The video is very graphic so if you are squeemish you may not want to watch it. Obviously she is having a difficult time forming and passing her eggs. She periodically lays these soft shelled eggs every 4-5 days and it all started in the beginning of February. Do you think she will grow out of this phase and has anyone else experienced this?

Thank you in advance for any advice.
Joyce Y.
user 55266182
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 21
Here is the soft egg and membrane from this morning.

When I removed the membrane there was egg white substance surrounding the soft shelled egg.

I just went outside a minute ago and found this besides the ivy wall.

Normal blue egg! There is a pattern now...every 5 days Olivia will lay two eggs. One weird and one normal. In between the 5 days she will lay either lay a normal egg or a soft shelled egg.