Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Egg issues-somewhat graphic photos

Egg issues-somewhat graphic photos

A former member
Post #: 387
I am sorry Joyce for not asking it earlier: have you tried feeding calcium + sunflower seeds + fiber?

Specifically this hen, where you know she is eating it.

For more details: 'meetup.com/Los-Angeles-Urban-Chicken-Enthusiasts/boards/thread/26528102­

PS I believe with baytril you can't eat the eggs for x weeks, so you want to check with vet before consuming those normal eggs.
Joyce Y.
user 55266182
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 22
Hi Marty, yes, I have oyster shell in a cup readily available, BOSS already mixed into their crumble and feed all egg shells back to them. I have been separately feeding Olivia calcium liquid capsules into yogurt once a week in the closed off run area and makes sure she eats it all.

I have thrown out all of her eggs since the vet said 30 days withdrawal period too. I just went outside and found her sitting in one of the nests so fingers crossed!
A former member
Post #: 389
You could grind the items and mix with general food for all the chickens, as it is healthy, but with a special needs be sure specific hen eats them, so for example if she doesn't like oyster shells, then egg shells, liquid calcium (as you are doing), etc. If she doesn't like BOSS, try without the shell and instead of shell (made of fiber) add more fiber.

SUNFLOWER If possible while feeding separately to also provide either black oil sunflower seeds (BOSS) or, if she doesn't like it, try sunflower seeds without the shell. Raw unsalted cost $1.99/16oz at Trader Joe's. I never met a chicken that didn't like TJ's sunflowers, but if she doesn't like them either you can always hide it in other food.

FIBER Add a food high in fiber, for example flax, sweet potato (cooked), cabbage, carrots (cooked or raw shredded). Whichever she likes and convenient for you.

A few days ago Cynthia mentioned vitamin D for egg-related issues (
see this link for more details). Sunshine (or equivalent, vitamin D) helps the body absorb calcium, and the discovery of this vitamin is one of the reasons factory farms can stack rows of chickens and still get eggs. If hen is exposed to the sun I would first try calcium+sunflower seeds+fiber to see if it help; if not exposed to the sun, I would also add vitamin D.

I would try this special diet to see if it works, and rest assured that chickens are easily fooled. Be creative. As picky as they are, you can sneak almost anything into their feed. Blend it all and they couldn't tell the difference. For example, if they like a certain veggie, say lettuce, blend 90% lettuce + 10% whatever and they will lick the last drop.
JJ
user 80252532
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 1
My Blue Ameracauna, 37 weeks old now has just started to lay. It all started 3 weeks ago .....Rosskopf took one look at her and advised I put her down humanely. He said "she has the plague and it is not curable."

..... The blood work came back and showed "dark staining lymphos-Mareks of something".

Did anyone think this information is important in the discussion of the pullet's health/the other chickens around her?