align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo
Shannon B
user 14750491
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 35
Does anyone have the fedex account # for UC Davis lab on hand? I woke up to 2 dead birds. :( No previous symptoms. I really want to figure out what is going on. I'd like to mail them today but the lab won't answer the phone until Monday.
Thanks,
Shannon
Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 454
Oh my gosh. That sounds terrible. I'm so sorry. This is the info on our vet page. I hope it's up to date.

UC Davis' San Bernardino Laboratory.
Mail to:
CAHFS
Pathology Department
105 W Central Avenue
San Bernardino, CA 92408-2113
(909) 383-4287 | (909) 884-5980 (FAX) | cahfs.ucdavis.edu | cahfssanbernardino@cahfs.ucdavis.edu
Cost: Testing is free but you pay for shipping. Contact lab for their shipping account info to save substantially on shipping cost.
Notes: discussed here and here. Tests animal droppings and dead animals. They will not mail anything back, except for lab results.
As/of June 2012
Laura B.
LauraBonilla
Group Organizer
Norco, CA
Post #: 434
hi Shannon,
so sorry about your girls!!! it's really sad specially when you find them dead already! - Let us know what you find and hopefully it's isolated to just them - I found one dead back a couple of months ago, and within hours another one was dead. I thought something was going on for sure, but the report from Davis came back as egg bound (forgot the technical name) --- totally independent and unrelated to each other... I think they just decided to go to heaven together!

Also, I want to put it here just for people's information, that UC Davis has the receiving system where you can drop them off 24x7 - the form is found online and you simply deposit the animal's body with the form at their location, in San Bernardino... just FYI...

Sorry again Shannon,
A former member
Post #: 381
I am sorry to hear about your loss.

You can get the account number when the lab opens Monday.

Many FedEx-owned locations have an "extended" drop off for local deliveries of 7pm, and I would keep them cold for as long as possible, first in a fridge (it may sound gross, but tell the average person "I have a chicken in my fridge" and it is quite standard) then place in freezer for a couple of hours before mailing.

Place each in its own bag. Place a pouch (for example, FedEx shipping pouch) inside the shipping box containing your form. If cold from the fridge, not summer and shipped overnight 10:30am there is no need for ice or extra padding.

I wouldn't mail just prior to a weekend or holiday, because it will be sitting for extra days. It is hard to keep them longer. I know how you feel.
Shannon B
user 14750491
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 36
Thanks Everyone. I ended up paying out of pocket for shipping. I will call the lab later and see if I can get their account # in case I need it in the future.
I'll keep you posted on what I find out. Hopefully they are 2 isolated, incidents and it is just a coincidence they died the same night. :( It was a sad start to a busy weekend.
Laura B.
LauraBonilla
Group Organizer
Norco, CA
Post #: 439
Thanks Everyone. I ended up paying out of pocket for shipping. I will call the lab later and see if I can get their account # in case I need it in the future.
I'll keep you posted on what I find out. Hopefully they are 2 isolated, incidents and it is just a coincidence they died the same night. :( It was a sad start to a busy weekend.

thanks for the update Shannon... yes keep us posted,
sorry again :(
Shannon B
user 14750491
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 37
Preliminary report came today:

Animal A: Grey Silkie, female pullet, 0.52 kg
The carcass was in poor nutritional condition, with no fat reserves, generalized moderate muscle atrophy and in moderate state of post-mortem decomposition. The ovary was not in production. There was an irregular area of white discoloration (~0.5 cm diameter) in the free wall of the left ventricle of the heart. No other significant gross abnormalities were observed in the rest of the carcass.

Animal B: Black and gold Maran hen, 1.48 kg
The carcass was in fair nutritional condition, with no fat reserves, generalized mild muscle atrophy and in mild to moderate state of post-mortem decomposition. The ovary was not in production. There were several deep, round ulcers (~ 0.2-0.8cm diameter) in the mucosa of the jejunum, ileum and colon. In the jejunum there was an area (~ 1 cm long) with very thick intestinal wall and ulcerated mucosa, which almost completely obliterated the intestinal lumen. In addition, there were multiple, multifocal small, roundish, firm and grey nodules protruding from the serosa of the jejunum. No other significant gross abnormalities were observed in the rest of the carcass.

The silkie was the lowest bird in the pecking order and she always hung out on her own, separate from the flock. She didn't like to be held and was such a fluff ball so I wasn't aware that she was too small and undernourished. I saw her eating regularly and she loved sunflower seeds, yogurt, meal worms... Maybe there was something that didn't allow her to get the nutrition she needed from her food. :(
It seems it is just a coincidence that they died the same night. At least now I don't need to worry about losing the rest of the flock to some mysterious illness.
Ashura
ladyashura
La Habra, CA
Post #: 4
Oh wow! I didn't know UC Davis did chicken autopsy/reports. Does it cost anything? And how exactly do you send them the little bodies?
Shannon B
user 14750491
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 38
Oh wow! I didn't know UC Davis did chicken autopsy/reports. Does it cost anything? And how exactly do you send them the little bodies?

It is free but you pay for shipping. If you call and get their fedex acct # you get a much cheaper rate. The webpage has info on packaging and shipping the bird and a form to fill out or if you call they'll walk you through the steps of how to package and keep cold. http://cahfs.ucdavis....­ I found out about it through this meetup group and am so glad I did!