Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › In Need of Fertilized Eggs

In Need of Fertilized Eggs

Rishi
user 14626497
Diamond Bar, CA
Post #: 5
Hey everyone,

I've got a broody hen and I'd like to see if I can get her to hatch an egg. Problem is I don't have a rooster, so I'm need of some fertilized eggs. Does anyone have three or four they can bring to the Urban Ecology Extravaganza?

Thanks in advance,
Rishi
Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 456
I'll bring some that might be fertilized but because our rooster doesn't stay outside all the time i'm not sure how well he's fertilizing them and you already have some of PeeWee's babies, Pip and Sidekick. If someone has eggs, that would probably be better.
Martin777
user 3311364
Norwalk, CA
Post #: 16
I talked with someone who bought fertilized eggs at Trader Joe's, yes the grocery store! She let them warm up slowly at room temperature for a while, them put them in a home made incubator. They hatched, now she has two healthy hens. The problem with getting eggs though, is you don't know what you'll be getting, e.g. you may get a rooster.
Debbie
user 76599302
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 6
The Trader Joe's on the corner of Huntington and Rosemead sells fertile Legghorn eggs. They are less than $3 for a dozen. They seem to have pretty good hatch rates on the byc forum. Try to get the freshest eggs. I have seen cartons with a laying date of less than one week. My next project will be hatching those eggs with a broody.
Jennifer D.
user 14173342
Topanga, CA
Post #: 1
Just for the record, I tried hatching my own fertilized eggs that I put in the refrigerator. There were 2. The other 5 I hatched right out of the nesting box. The two that were in the refrigerator were the only ones that didn't hatch. I have hatching eggs as well. If someone is interested. I hatch my own eggs all the time and my hatch rate is very high.
Vlad
user 5080575
Canoga Park, CA
Post #: 11
Well, my time has come - can anybody share a few (2-3) fertile eggs (or trade for something :)
(Trader Joe would be my backup plan)
Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 670
Do you know what type of chickens you are looking for? I have mutts. The two roosters we have are a white frizzle and the other is a rhode island red. They are mixed with different girls so if you are interested i could list. I would be interested in having someone hatch more of the white frizzle (Frosty)'s eggs as we've hatched 6 girls from 6 eggs. Not sure if we were lucky or if for some reason he's a magical rooster and he'll have mostly girls.... I'm in Long Beach so we'd need to find a meet in the middle place, I work in the Silverlake area.
JJ
user 80252532
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 59
Roberta,
would you post a photo of your white frizzle rooster? Do you know what mix he came from?
Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 671
I love being asked for pictures! He's a white frizzle from Ideal Poultry. He must be a black mix but you'll see some of his kids have golden feathers around their necks. Not sure if that comes from their mom's which are reddish. Here are a bunch of pictures. Probably one is enough but he's so cute. :)

Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 672
Here are some of his kids mixed first with a RIR and the next one with a red frizzle.