Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Looking to adopt a buddy for my BR hen

Looking to adopt a buddy for my BR hen

Adriana Torres T.
xxadrixx
Downey, CA
Post #: 4
Hello chicken lovers!
I recently had to put down my EE crying Right now I have my 2yr Barred Rock Bouillon and I'd like to get a buddy for her again. I would love another EE. Any large breed would be fine.. another BR. I'd like one about the same age range. I'm in Downey but I am willing to go for a drive.
A former member
Post #: 388
Hello chicken lovers!
I recently had to put down my EE crying Right now I have my 2yr Barred Rock Bouillon and I'd like to get a buddy for her again. I would love another EE. Any large breed would be fine.. another BR. I'd like one about the same age range. I'm in Downey but I am willing to go for a drive.

Hi Adriana -

Deeply sorry for the loss. Because chickens can die of loneliness, when I was down to 2 with one dying of cancer I was determined to give up the remaining one to a good home. (I didn't think it was fair to the chicken--it was not about me.) I ended up giving it to a family who already knew the chickens, and didn't want me to give her up, and promised to get additional ones as company.

They delayed getting additional ones and chicken was depressed for a few weeks and then passed away. She lost appetite/foraging, and she was a dominate hen and didn't have anyone to fight with. Must have taken it hard.

I have kept a lonely hen for about 18 months. It is possible. You just need to give her lots of love and attention and it can be hard to keep it up.

If you decide on getting additional, I would get at least two more. When you have three, if one goes the two have each other, and you can get a thrid one as the cycle repeats itself.