Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Neighbor dog killed my chickens

Neighbor dog killed my chickens

christa n.
user 8423908
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 2
Two years ago the neighbors husky came through the fence and killed one of my chickens. I wa sable to rescue the other one. My neighbor promised the dog will never get over again. I didn't let the chickens in the back yard again just to be safe. The dog came 3 times again but couldnt get them. After one of my chickens died on Friday I got a new silkie yesterday and to our enjoyment my little bantam an the new silkie got along so nicely and it was a joy watching them. Every few hours I went to the chicken pen and watched them. Today when I got home my first thing was checking on them and I saw in horror both of them where killed. I went to my cameras and saw that the husky killed them. This time he came through the other neighbors yard and dug himself through the fence. What
can I do? I am heartbroken for my little cuties. The neighbor said they will replace the chickens but that is not the
point. This dog will come back and try anything to get to my new chickens again. I can't just buy new chickens and have them killed. A few month ago we saw a hawk bothering them and we put netting on top of the pen . So we felt pretty good about their safety but we failed anyway.
A former member
Post #: 406
I am really sorry for your loss. I have been there before with a group of raccoons, who pulled out a heavy roof to kill one of my chickens. Not fun.

For the coop, to keep all creatures out, I would use hardware clot; in this case, to keep the dog from digging under the fence, try galvenized panels mentioned here (link) should be as effective as hardware cloth but more economical for a larger area.
Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 468
This is just terrible. That dog should not be running free. Have you mentioned that you can call animal control? I know this is an extreme step but they need to watch their dog. I believe there are collars that can be used like an invisible fence. It seems like they should use something like that. You are right, the heart break isn't something that can be mended with money.

I keep my chickens cooped up unless i;m there to watch them and even then i can't look the other way or need to put our dogs in the house. Otherwise the coop is dog proof so when i'm not there i can rest easy that they are safe. For the bantams, you can build a pretty tight coop. pouring cement around the perimeter of the coop will help with the digging. Maybe that would be an option with the perimeter walls, though it would be expensive.....

Not fair at all :(
christa n.
user 8423908
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 3
Thanks Marty and Roberta,
I know about calling animal control. The lady from Malibu feed bin pressured me two years ago to call them and warned me that otherwise it will happen again . I didn't do it because I love all animals and didn't want anything bad happen to the dog. But when I saw what he did today I have no love left for this dog.
Thanks for your kind words, it helps. I will wait till our chicken pen is totally reinforced before I get new chickies.
And I will wait till I calmed down and think about what to do if I call animal control or not.
sandplum
sandplum
Winnetka, CA
Post #: 35
Oh Christa, I am so sorry to hear this. I have lost birds to the neighbor's dogs and I know how terrible it can be. And it was my experience that the dogs continued to return as long as there were birds to chase. This may happen in your case also. But I would like to caution you against thinking that animal control is your solution.

Sure, you may be able to have that one dog removed from the neighborhood. But then you would have a false sense of security. Instead of giving your birds a predator-proof enclosure, you may feel too comfortable after the dog is gone, and then find your flock has been attacked by a stray dog that found his way in. I know you are already planning an upgrade to your pen and I think that will be the best plan for all. It will keep your birds safe from all unwelcome visitors, and allow you to make peace with your neighbor.

There are many people on this list who will help you design and build a safe place for your birds to live, if you would like some help. Again, I am so sorry for your loss. I wish you the best going forward.
christa n.
user 8423908
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 4
Thanks sandplum, i am still thinking what to do. Planing to go over to the neighbor tonight. I heard the dog is still missing. Yes it doesn't feel good to report this. I will see what the neighbors have to say this time.
Thanks again. when I am ready to have new chickens I need some info where I get get them from.
Tanks again
Laura B.
FarmerLaura
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 98
Hi Christa,

What a sad, sad thing to happen. It is just heartbreaking.

Huskies are notorious for having a high prey drive, and they will do almost anything to get to prey once they have targeted the animals. They are as bad as coyotes.

I recommend chain link fencing. It is a bit pricey for a chicken run, but if you put in a 1 foot deep concrete footer and have the posts set in to the footer, most likely the dog is not going to get in. Make sure that you have a chain link top put on the run, because many dogs are really good at climbing chain link. As added insurance, bury stucco wire (the welded mesh kind, not the chicken wire-looking net kind) about 6 inches under the floor of the run.

I used to have a dog that was an escape artist. I put a top on the fence all the way around my yard that tilted inward so that she could not go over. The only place I did not was an area of nine foot wall because, seriously, how was she going to get over that wall. She kept getting out and I was at my wits end trying to figure out how until one day I came in through the front door and she did not hear me come home. I saw her take a running start and run straight up and over the wall. 9 feet did not stop that dog.

Your neighbor's husky is going to keep finding ways in because he is motivated, so you need to create a locker for your chickens.
christa n.
user 8423908
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 5
Thank you so much Laura, all this tips a great and will help me to built a safer chicken run.
I hope I get over this heartbreak soon , can't stop thinking about my two poor cuties.
A former member
Post #: 410
Thank you so much Laura, all this tips a great and will help me to built a safer chicken run.
I hope I get over this heartbreak soon , can't stop thinking about my two poor cuties.

Time is a healer, Christa. It can take a few months, just know that you did your best.

The dog should have never come over, it is the neighbor's responsibility to add a fence or collar (link)--whatever it takes. One of my neighbors had to cut trees so that the dog will not be able to jump from the trees over the fence. Ultimately, life is full of risks, and given the choice between being cooped up and safe vs free-ranging with some risks, most chickens will choose the latter.

You gave your best. They lived a better, more fulfilling life than 99.99% of all chickens. It is hard, but you will feel better over time.
Laura B.
LauraBonilla
Group Organizer
Norco, CA
Post #: 446
Christa, so sorry, I just read your post from yesterday. Marty is right, time heals and you have the satisfaction of having giving them the opportunity to know love.

I have a chain link run, thousands spent on it, but worth every penny. Still I let them free range and I can't be watching them all the time - when I hear them I run like a crazy woman and find a hawk or some other big bird flying low... My chickens went over next door yard and the dogs gave them a scare moment - thanks God they were able to run/fly/scream... that taught them to not go over there - I would have been sad, but as Marty put it, I know my chickens rather take the chance than being cooped up all day long. They implore me to let them out and I do... we just need to remember we would not want to be trap either in a cell just for mom to keep us safe from the world. we want to risk it and take chances :)

So, just do your best and know it was time for them to go to heaven, where they are playing with all of our other girls and boys who are also in heaven :)

We are here for you, let us know if you need anything,
blessings,