Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Breeds that can handle 110° heat in Woodland Hills

Breeds that can handle 110° heat in Woodland Hills

Dawn N.
user 86243652
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 1
Hello All,

New here as of 2 minutes ago. I'm a chef, I staged in France at a small country farm that raised, hatched, sold eggs and butchered meat. It was a grand experience, however the one thing I did NOT learn was what breeds do well in super duper hot weather.

Extra info:

1//2 of their run will be covered
I am home almost all day every day so I can keep an eye on them in the heat
I have seen different answer on websites so I want to hear from the actual folks who LIVE in this heat as you know first hand what breeds do well.

Thanks!!!!

Dawn
Debbie
user 76599302
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 11
Have you thought about adding a mister to the run area. It got over 100 a few times last year in the San Gabriel Valley and the chickens did really well with the mister.
A former member
Post #: 10
Heritage breeds and dual purpose breeds tend to do better than others.... We have Barnevelder and they have done well in the west valley heat, but all breeds need lots of water and shade. We have had a few time when a hen just drops from the heat, out of a flock of 30+, for no apparent reason.

We had added misters and as much shade as possible.... And we also give them watermelon when it gets warm so they keep their fluid intake up...

There are a number of web sites that list breeds and if they do well in the heat or cold.... Something to google. ;)

Gary of Winnetka Farms
Dawn N.
user 86243652
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 2
I am asking because I believe the google data is quite likely inaccurate. For example all the lists of chickens only say that the Barnvelder is cold tolerant. There is no mention of heat tolerance at all, which implies that it would not do well in the heat. This is exactly why I was asking. :-) I'm thrilled to add breeds back onto my "possible" list from folks who have hands on experience with this heat. Thanks so much!!
Karen C.
user 83873082
Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA
Post #: 1
One of my posts on Pinterest suggested adding a fan to the run, giving them whole fruits and vegetables from the refrigerator such as apples, carrots, cucumber and half watermelon as they hold cold longer, plus giving them a shallow flat pan of cool water with floating nasturtium leaves to attract them. The water helps cool their feet and the leaves get their attention. Someone at the last LAUCE meeting suggested placing camouflage mesh netting from an army surplus store on top the run to help create some shade.
Sandra
user 41005282
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 5
If you go onto My Pet Chicken's web site they list all the breeds and which ones are more tolerant to the heat. I have had my Barred Rock and Buff Orpington for 4 years now ,they have both done well in the horrible heat.Shade and plenty of cold water really have helped.
Dawn N.
user 86243652
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 4
If you go onto My Pet Chicken's web site they list all the breeds and which ones are more tolerant to the heat. I have had my Barred Rock and Buff Orpington for 4 years now ,they have both done well in the horrible heat.Shade and plenty of cold water really have helped.

Sadly not true and hence why I am asking for personal recommendations. Barred Rock are listed as Cold Tolerant and not heat tolerant. Here is what they wrote:

"Barred Plymouth Rocks or "Barred Rocks," as they're called, are one of the most popular dual-purpose chickens on small farms today. Their heritage is unclear with reports of different crosses, but what is clear is that they're very friendly, great layers of large brown eggs and able to withstand cold weather quite nicely."

So the good news is you have 2 breeds that do well in the heat that I didn't have!!! Thanks so much. This is VERY helpful.

This is exactly why I am asking for all of your personal recommendations, I knew there couldn't be so few chicken breeds to choose from. :-)
Dawn N.
user 86243652
Los Angeles, CA
One of my posts on Pinterest suggested adding a fan to the run, giving them whole fruits and vegetables from the refrigerator such as apples, carrots, cucumber and half watermelon as they hold cold longer, plus giving them a shallow flat pan of cool water with floating nasturtium leaves to attract them. The water helps cool their feet and the leaves get their attention. Someone at the last LAUCE meeting suggested placing camouflage mesh netting from an army surplus store on top the run to help create some shade.

WOW, all this is great intel. Thanks. The nasturtium idea is interesting for sure! They will have covered shade and I am home almost every single day all day so I can definitely go outside to check on them and give them treats.

Thanks again!
Sandra
user 41005282
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 6
I also have a Sicillian Buttercup and a Wellsummer ,this is my first year having these breeds.They seem to be doing ok as well with our crazy fluctuating temps.
Karen C.
user 83873082
Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA
Just saw an idea on another Pinterest board. They suggest you take ice cube trays...fill one with pieces of fresh mint, the other with pieces of strawberry tops (greens plus a bit of the strawberry). Fill them with water, freeze...then pop them out on a hot day and serve to chickens. They look quite festive!