addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Breeds that can handle 110° heat in Woodland Hills

Breeds that can handle 110° heat in Woodland Hills

D. L. E.
user 10824020
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 3
The Australorp is noted for heat tolerance and I can say from experience they do very well with it. Our summers routinely hit 115+. I've also had a Buff Orpington and a Brahma tolerate the heat well but the Ausralorps thrive in it.

For my plants/garden I've tried every trick in the book to get them through the summers and have found that the shade from a tree is more effective than shade cloth or misters. In the heat of the day the hens often dig a deep pit in shady soil and rest in it.

If you are stuck with shade cloth as an option try to find this special type that is woven silver colored material especially made to reflect heat. I got it from a greenhouse manufacturer. It works very well but is hard to find. It has alternating 3/8th" wide strips of silver and clear materiel (Mylar?) woven together. If anyone knows where to find this please let us know! After many years mine needs replacing, the original source is gone.
Dawn N.
user 86243652
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 6
This is great intel folks. Especially on what specific breeds you have and how they are doing. I knew true "first handers" would know what breeds would do well, or in the case of the Australorp, thrive in our heat. Will do on the suggestions of treats and I do have real trees that will provide shade!!

Thanks a bunch for all the suggestions.

Others who read this thread, let me know what breeds you have and how they are doing!!
Karen C.
user 83873082
Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA
Post #: 6
One of the things I discovered while trying to decide on a breed was that "do well in cold temperatures" has a lot to do with the size of the comb. The larger the comb, the more prone they are to frostbite. Just because they do well in cold doesn't mean they don't do well in heat with a little extra attention.
Cara
user 67618442
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 1
Hi! I'm here in Woodland Hills too. My 6 Easter Eggers made it fine through this last summer. They free range in the back yard all day and take shelter under a tree or some bushes. I keep 2 waterers on opposite sides of the yard so that it's more accessible to them. I also spray the area under the tree and bushes with the hose every morning to keep the ground cool. They love it. Sometimes when I'm home I just let the hose run on the grass and the chickens all cool their little feet in the water.

I've heard that leghorns do well in the heat as well. Most mediterranean breeds should do fine. I'm adding Blue Marans and Olive Eggers this year so we'll see how they do.
Dawn N.
user 86243652
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 7
One of the things I discovered while trying to decide on a breed was that "do well in cold temperatures" has a lot to do with the size of the comb. The larger the comb, the more prone they are to frostbite. Just because they do well in cold doesn't mean they don't do well in heat with a little extra attention.

Karen, agreed. There were only 6 listing for chickens that can handle heat and I knew that LA folks had a lot more than 6 breeds of chickens! Quite a few of those being stated are not listed as heat tolerant at all. So glad to have so many folks responding with their breeds and how well they are doing.
Dawn N.
user 86243652
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 8
Cara, AWESOME!!! I wuld really love some Easter Eggers so I am thrilled to hear this. I will likely ping you back in September to see how your Marans and Olive Eggers do. Thanks!!!
Brandi G
user 48566262
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 134
My Marans and EEs did well in Pasadena last summer. It's pretty hot here, maybe not as hot, but hot nonetheless.

I have French Black Copper Marans, an EE that may be off colored but purebred Ameraucana and a couple of EEs. They are all fine, although they all pant at times. I'm going to start doing the water trick when it's really hot. Mine were little guys last summer, they will be a year old in June.
Laura B.
FarmerLaura
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 107
Dawn, I think part of the reason that you find more info about cold tolerant chickens than heat tolerant is because chickens are descended from Jungle Fowl, which live in tropical zones. Unless you get some of the really heavy birds, I think that most chickens can handle heat as long as you make sure they have plenty of water, shade and places where they can get cool.
Dawn N.
user 86243652
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 9
My Marans and EEs did well in Pasadena last summer. It's pretty hot here, maybe not as hot, but hot nonetheless.

I have French Black Copper Marans, an EE that may be off colored but purebred Ameraucana and a couple of EEs. They are all fine, although they all pant at times. I'm going to start doing the water trick when it's really hot. Mine were little guys last summer, they will be a year old in June.

Thanks Brandi, good to know in advance that they pant so I can be on the lookout. I'll look at the French Black Copper Marans now too!
Dawn N.
user 86243652
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 10
Dawn, I think part of the reason that you find more info about cold tolerant chickens than heat tolerant is because chickens are descended from Jungle Fowl, which live in tropical zones. Unless you get some of the really heavy birds, I think that most chickens can handle heat as long as you make sure they have plenty of water, shade and places where they can get cool.

Ahhh Laura, very smart! The lists really tricked me as a few were listed as heat tolerant but what you say makes perfect sense.